Heavily favored Rich in Spirit, ridden by Mark Guidry, wore down the pace-setting Cape Hope in the stretch and drew away to a 1 ½-length victory in Saturday's $165,450 Locust Grove Handicap (gr. III) for fillies and mares on the turf at Churchill Downs.
Glen Hill Farm's homebred Rich in Spirit, runner-up in the recent Early Times Mint Julep (gr. IIIT) at Churchill Downs and a winner of nearly $400,000 on the turf, takes on seven rivals in $150,000-added Locust Grove Handicap (gr. IIIT) on the Churchill turf Saturday.
My Typhoon, a $2.9 million weanling purchase who won the Mrs. Revere (gr. II) over the Churchill Downs turf last fall, returns to the course as the 5-2 morning line favorite for the $100,000-added Early Times Mint Julep Handicap (gr. III) Saturday.
Most Popular Stories
- Del Mar Sets Plan to Solve Turf Course Issue
- Some Top Trainers Support Phasing Out Salix
- Indiana Sire Lantana Mob Gets First Winner
- WV Hires New Lab; Purse Money Still in Limbo
- Champion She's a Tiger Retired
- Tumor Side Effect Leads to Filly's Group I DQ
- Bertha Wright of Calumet Dynasty Dies at 94
- Monmouth to Reduce Overnight Purses by 10%
- Illinois Tracks Seeking Fewer Dates in 2015
- Horse Returned, But Entry Clerk Out of a Job