The purse for the Belmont Stakes (gr. I), the third jewel of the Triple Crown, will be $1.5 million for the 146th renewal June 7, 2014, the New York Racing Association announced Dec. 28.
Kentucky Derby winner Orb returned to the Belmont Park main track May 23 for the first time since his fourth-place finish in the Preakness Stakes (gr. I), galloping a mile and pleasing trainer Shug McGaughey.
I'll Have Another will have an additional rival in 144th running of the Belmont Stakes (gr. I) June 9 in New York as he tries to become the first Triple Crown winner in 34 years.
The Stuyvesant Handicap (gr. III), which began in 1916 and has been run consecutively since 1963, has been canceled due to a lack of interest, stakes coordinator Andrew Byrnes said Nov. 12.
Trainer Pat Kelly was about to take Evening Attire out of stakes competition, to try the 10-year-old gelding in a few allowance races or to pick spots in turf routes as a main-track-only entry. But the seasoned runner turned in such a solid performance in his last start that NYRA stakes coordinator Andrew Byrnes was able to convince Kelly to tackle the $200,000 Brooklyn Handicap (gr. II) at Belmont Park.
Little Red, meet Big Red. When Smarty Jones ships to Belmont Park next week, he will be stabled in Barn 5, which was the home of Triple Crown winner Secretariat. The barn is right next door to Barclay Tagg's barn, making Smarty Jones and last year's hero, Funny Cide, temporary neighbors.
Kentucky Derby and Preakness winner Funny Cide has three weeks to prepare for the biggest race of his career and trainer Barclay Tagg and assistant Robin Smullen have tentatively mapped out a plan for the June 7 Belmont Stakes (gr. I).
Saarland, the colt in search of a race, indicated he is still sharp and ready for some action by breezing a sharp half in :48 at Gulfstream Monday morning.
Most Popular Stories
- El Areeb Works at Laurel Toward Wood Memorial
- Mind Your Biscuits Could Give Summers First Win
- Ashleyluvssugar, Texas Ryano Reunite in San Luis Rey
- Arrogate Lands Post Nine For Dubai World Cup
- Hope Floats for Hoppertunity in Dubai World Cup
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - March 21, 2017
- Look Back: Summer Squall Answers Questions in Jim Beam
- Highland Reel Among World Cup Day Turf Runners
- Conquest Mo Money Carries Local Hopes in Sunland Derby
- Mastery to Claiborne Farm Upon Retirement