Angel Terrace, rallying from last on the turn for home, and fast-closing Miz Ida scored divisions of the $125,000 Pin Oak Valley View Stakes (gr. IIIT) on the Keeneland turf Oct. 19.
Ellis Park concluded its 41-day race meet with increased attendance and slightly lower total wagering. The totals for the meet, which ended with a Labor Day program on Sept. 2, shohwed a 3.1% increase in on-track attendance and a 2.1% decline in on-track betting. Overall wagering declined 3.6%, when compared to the 2001 meet.
Richard, Bertram, and Elaine Klein's Swept Away, a winner of nine of 16 starts for earnings of $550,500, was retired June 26 because of an injury to her left front sesamoid. In her last race, the grade II Genuine Risk Handicap at Belmont Park May 12, Swept Away finished an uncharacteristic eighth.
Richard, Bertram, and Elaine Klein's Stay Sound, a popular Kentucky-based stakes horse who won the grade III Hawthorne Derby in 1998, has been retired and eventually will have a new home as a stallion.
Most Popular Stories
- Dortmund Drills for Sherman at Los Al
- Bayern's First Foal, a Filly, Arrives in Ontario
- Stronach Still Seeking New Heights for Racing
- Uncontested Romp in Smarty Jones
- First Foal by American Pharoah Born at Brookdale Farm
- Jockey Olguin Secures Milestone Win
- Stonestreet to Sponsor Lexington Stakes, Purse Boosted
- R. A. Hill Stable Buys Into Breaking Lucky
- Metaboss to Harris Farms in California
- The Curse of Haskin