Trainer Kiaran McLaughlin's plans changed for two of his graded stakes-winning sprinters, Abraaj and Lucky Island, when the former suffered a slight setback that will force him to miss the $400,000 Vosburgh (gr. I) at Belmont Park Sept. 27.
Bluesthestandard could use Sunday's $250,000 Ancient Title Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. I) at Oak Tree at Santa Anita Park as a springboard to his second consecutive appearance in the Breeders' Cup Sprint (gr. I) at Lone Star Park in Texas on Oct. 30.
Grade I winner Joey Franco worked six furlongs over Santa Anita's firm turf course Wednesday in preparation for a start over the Oct. 4-5 weekend. It was part of a very busy morning at the Arcadia, Calif. oval as it prepares for the Oak Tree meeting that begins Sunday.
Trainer Howie Zucker, whose Crafty C.T. was selected to run in the Breeders' Cup Sprint, has been to the Breeders' Cup before, but never with a horse of his own.
Trainer Bruce Headley left his big gun, Kona Gold, in the barn for Saturday's $200,000 Ancient Title Handicap (gr. I) at Santa Anita, but it didn't keep him out of the winner's circle.
With his regular rider Alex Solis in the saddle, the Bruce Headley-trained son of Java Gold stepped 5 furlongs in a snappy 57.40 workout that helped raise the early morning fog off the track Wednesday.
Most Popular Stories
- Mastery Passes Two-Turn Test in Futurity
- Abel Tasman Upsets American Gal in Starlet
- California Chrome Logs Final 'Challenge' Work
- Bode's Dream Perfect in House Party
- Paulassilverlining Golden in Garland of Roses
- Greatbullsoffire Runs Away With MD Futurity
- Mobile Bay Turns Tables in LA Classic
- Weekend Stakes Rundown: Los Al Gets Spotlight
- Keane Stud Announces 2017 Stud Fees
- Thewayyouare Relocated to Haras de Corlay