Trainer Kiaran McLaughlin's plans changed for two of his graded stakes-winning sprinters, Abraaj and Lucky Island, when the former suffered a slight setback that will force him to miss the $400,000 Vosburgh (gr. I) at Belmont Park Sept. 27.
Bluesthestandard could use Sunday's $250,000 Ancient Title Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. I) at Oak Tree at Santa Anita Park as a springboard to his second consecutive appearance in the Breeders' Cup Sprint (gr. I) at Lone Star Park in Texas on Oct. 30.
Grade I winner Joey Franco worked six furlongs over Santa Anita's firm turf course Wednesday in preparation for a start over the Oct. 4-5 weekend. It was part of a very busy morning at the Arcadia, Calif. oval as it prepares for the Oak Tree meeting that begins Sunday.
Trainer Howie Zucker, whose Crafty C.T. was selected to run in the Breeders' Cup Sprint, has been to the Breeders' Cup before, but never with a horse of his own.
Trainer Bruce Headley left his big gun, Kona Gold, in the barn for Saturday's $200,000 Ancient Title Handicap (gr. I) at Santa Anita, but it didn't keep him out of the winner's circle.
With his regular rider Alex Solis in the saddle, the Bruce Headley-trained son of Java Gold stepped 5 furlongs in a snappy 57.40 workout that helped raise the early morning fog off the track Wednesday.
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate Breezes at Santa Anita
- Street Surrender, Roman Secure First Stakes Win
- Crawdaddy Two-For-Two After NYSS Score
- Irap Gets Best of Girvin in Ohio Derby
- Lady Eli, Cloud Computing Among Workers for Brown
- California Sire Benchmark Dead at 26
- 'Hermaphrodite' Reported Before Race at Santa Anita
- Satono Crown Surges to Victory in Takarazuka Kinen
- Collected Dominant Again in Precisionist Stakes
- Battle of Midway Cruises to Affirmed Victory