Trainer Kiaran McLaughlin's plans changed for two of his graded stakes-winning sprinters, Abraaj and Lucky Island, when the former suffered a slight setback that will force him to miss the $400,000 Vosburgh (gr. I) at Belmont Park Sept. 27.
Bluesthestandard could use Sunday's $250,000 Ancient Title Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. I) at Oak Tree at Santa Anita Park as a springboard to his second consecutive appearance in the Breeders' Cup Sprint (gr. I) at Lone Star Park in Texas on Oct. 30.
Grade I winner Joey Franco worked six furlongs over Santa Anita's firm turf course Wednesday in preparation for a start over the Oct. 4-5 weekend. It was part of a very busy morning at the Arcadia, Calif. oval as it prepares for the Oak Tree meeting that begins Sunday.
Trainer Howie Zucker, whose Crafty C.T. was selected to run in the Breeders' Cup Sprint, has been to the Breeders' Cup before, but never with a horse of his own.
Trainer Bruce Headley left his big gun, Kona Gold, in the barn for Saturday's $200,000 Ancient Title Handicap (gr. I) at Santa Anita, but it didn't keep him out of the winner's circle.
With his regular rider Alex Solis in the saddle, the Bruce Headley-trained son of Java Gold stepped 5 furlongs in a snappy 57.40 workout that helped raise the early morning fog off the track Wednesday.
Most Popular Stories
- Remains of Glacial Princess to be Moved to Old Friends
- Spendthrift Juvenile Stallion Stakes to Add Filly Race
- Japan Gets a NY Filly as His First Foal
- Cathryn Sophia Voted Top Midlantic-Bred for 2016
- OBS Championship Stakes Fields Set
- Mexikoma to Stand at Keen Farms
- A Look Back at Quack's California Derby
- Dortmund Drills for Sherman at Los Al
- PA Development Fund Helped Brandt Expand Feed Business
- What's Going On Here: No Bid, No Win