Fog City Stables' Santa Anita Derby (gr. I) winner Buzzards Bay will not make his next start in the June 11 Belmont Stakes (gr. I) as previously planned, trainer Jeff Mullins revealed Tuesday morning.
In spite of some adversity this year, rags-to-riches Jeff and Amy Mullins, who start their fourth longshot in the Kentucky Derby (gr. I) Saturday in Buzzards Bay, hope they will some day be remembered with other great husband-wife Derby teams.
Jeff Mullins went through the pre-Kentucky Derby media circus last year with Lusty Latin, who finished 15th. This year, the 40-year-old trainer has a solid Derby contender in Santa Anita Derby winner Buddy Gil, but Mullins is avoiding for as long as he can the hordes of inquisitive paparazzi massing at Churchill Downs for any scrap of Derby news.
Captain Squire, winner of the FedEx Sprint in the Sunshine Millions last month, worked five furlongs on Santa Anita's "muddy" main track Friday in 1:00.20 under Amy Mullins, wife of trainer Jeff Mullins.
Most Popular Stories
- Will Take Charge vs. Palace Malice in Whitney
- Juddmonte Stallions Available to S.H. Mares
- Kingman Wins Sussex with Dazzling Late Speed
- Thoroughbred Marketplace at Pimlico Oct. 4-5
- Social Inclusion to Move to Chad Brown
- Federal Judge Dismisses Dutrow Lawsuit
- Palace Malice Hoping to Continue His Roll
- CDI Gets 5-Year Contract with Saratoga Casino
- Colorado Voters to Decide on Racino Gaming
- Coltimus Prime Rules Prince of Wales