Arbuckle Bandit, ridden by Brice Blanc, unleashed a furious stretch rally while six or seven wide to win a remarkable four-horse photo finish in Saturday's $169,800 Commonwealth Turf for 3-year-olds at Churchill Downs.
Flatbird Stable's Rock Lobster shipped in from Maryland for trainer Michael Dickinson to surprise the field at odds of 8-1 in Sunday's $113,900 Saranac (gr. IIIT) for 3-year-olds on the Saratoga Mellon Turf Course. It was Rock Lobster's graded stakes debut.
With turf division standouts Showing Up and After Market skipping the race, Sunday's $100,000-added Saranac for 3-year-olds on the Saratoga grass became a handicapper's delight.
Union Avenue opened up a clear advantage in the stretch and was able to hold off an unlucky Can't Beat It by a half-length to capture the $250,000 American Derby (gr. IIT) at odds of 23-1 for trainer Bill Mott on the Arlington Park turf course Saturday.
Aidan O'Brien's exciting team of juveniles suffered a reversal for the second time in three days Friday when Amigoni finished out of the frame in the Sterling Insurance Richmond Stakes (Eng-II), which was won by Always Hopeful.
George Washington led a one-two finish for trainer Aidan O'Brien in Sunday's Railway Stakes (Ire-II) for 2-year-olds at The Curragh.
Most Popular Stories
- California Chrome Digs In for Final BC Breeze
- Raven Run Winner Taris to F-T November
- Salutos Amigos Best in 'Ruler, Eyes BC Sprint
- Romans: Prayer for Relief's Work 'Super'
- Breeders' Cup Modifies Convicted Trainer Rule
- Elm Park Cruises to Easy Racing Post Tally
- Adelaide Strikes From Last to Win Cox Plate
- Busy Day of Breeders' Cup Works Oct. 25
- BC 2014: California Chrome Bath Oct 25
- BC 2014: California Chrome Work