Liaison, sixth in the Kentucky Derby at odds of 56-1, should find the company a little more to his liking when he returns to action in the $100,000 Affirmed Handicap (gr. III) June 3 at Betfair Hollywood Park.
Drill remained perfect in three tries at seven furlongs when he rallied between horses in deep stretch to defeat pacesetter American Act by a half-length in the $98,000 Lazaro Barrera Memorial Stakes (gr. III) May 12.
Drill and American Act, separated by a nose in the San Vicente Stakes (gr. II) in February, will renew their acquaintance in the $100,000 Lazaro S. Barrera Memorial Stakes (gr. III) at Betfair Hollywood Park May 13.
Though it experienced two substantial losses in the past few days, Santa Anita's field for the $300,000 San Felipe Stakes (gr. II) March 10 could still be the most competitive of the young 2012 Triple Crown season.
Rebounding from four consecutive disappointing efforts, Drill won the $150,000 San Vicente Stakes (gr. II) by a desperate nose over a determined American Act Feb. 19 at Santa Anita. Creative Cause finished third at 1-2 odds.
West Coast star Creative Cause will take his first step toward a possible start in the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) when he heads a field of six in the $150,000 San Vicente Stakes (gr. II) at Santa Anita.
Most Popular Stories
- Gulfstream Race is 'No Contest' After Spill
- After the Wire: Rebel Stakes
- Rebel Rematch Expected in Arkansas Derby
- California Chrome 'Wait and See' for SA Derby
- Stormy Lucy Ends Graded Drought in Santa Ana
- Hoppertunity Stays Up in Roughshod Rebel
- Likely Entrants for World Cup Card Released
- Featured Horse Profile: Close Hatches
- KY-Bred Lideris Wins Latinoamericana in Peru
- Onlyforyou Euthanized After Training Accident