Winning Cause, getting an ideal stalking trip from jockey Eddie Castro, staved off odds-on choice Big Blue Kitten to win the Cliff Hanger Stakes (gr. IIIT) Aug. 24 on turf at Monmouth Park, halting a 10-race losing skid.
Sweet Whiskey took the inside path in the $100,000 Old Hat Stakes (gr. III) Jan. 4 at Gulfstream Park, charging past stablemate and runner-up Co Cola in the stretch to notch her first stakes victory.
After closing 2013 with a runner-up finish in the Matron Stakes (gr. II), Sweet Whiskey will try to secure her first graded stakes win Jan. 4 at Gulfstream Park in the $100,000 Old Hat Stakes (gr. III).
Still last in mid-stretch, Peace Preserver rallied between horses to secure the first graded stakes win of her career with an upset tally in the $200,000 Noble Damsel Stakes (gr. IIIT) Sept. 14 at Belmont Park.
Alto Racing's impressive maiden winner Sweet Whiskey now will face a stern test of quality as she takes on eight foes Sept. 1 in the 122nd running of the $300,000 Spinaway (gr. I).
Todd Pletcher will not enter Coolmore Lexington Stakes (gr. III) winner Winning Cause in the Kentucky Derby presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) May 4 at Churchill Downs.
Alto Racing's Winning Cause got up in the final strides of the $200,000 Coolmore Lexington Stakes (gr. III) April 20 at Keeneland, earning 20 points on the road to the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I).
Most Popular Stories
- Game On Dude, Won Three Big 'Caps, Retired
- Sherman Says 'Chrome' Looks as Good as Ever
- Filly First Winner for Line of David
- California Chrome Draws Rail in PA Derby
- Deadline Nears for OBS Racing Age Section
- Two Dates Added to Upcoming Santa Anita Meet
- Rocketts Mill Farm Founder Stevens Dead at 82
- Pedigree Analysis: Inbreeding Trends
- Slideshow: Game On Dude
- Muhtafal Retired from Stud in South Africa