The results were grim, but not surprising, as Keeneland opened its January horses of all ages sale in Lexington during a time of worldwide economic downturns. The gross revenue Jan. 12 plummeted 44% from the auction's first session in 2008 while the average price dropped 45.9%. The median price suffered the most damage, falling 50.9%.
Elisabeth Alexander's Bridge Game overtook pacesetter Jennie R. inside the sixteenth pole to upset the $150,000 Modesty Handicap (gr. IIIT) for fillies and mares by 1 1/2 lengths Saturday at Arlington Park.
Eight older females will go postward in the July 21 Modesty Handicap (gr. IIIT) at Arlington Park, including last year's winner Chic Dancer, who is looking to defend her title.
Trainer Todd Pletcher was half a world away in Dubai when the Gulfstream stakes races began Saturday afternoon, but his powerful stable came out strong with heavily favored Safari Queen and Almonsoon posting a one-two finish in the $150,000 Orchid Handicap (gr. IIIT), the first of five stakes on the Florida Derby Day program.
Trainer Todd Pletcher holds a strong hand in the $150,000 Orchid Handicap (gr. IIIT) for older fillies and mares on turf Saturday at Gulfstream Park, sending out Almonsoon and Safari Queen.
Most Popular Stories
- Leave the Light On Off Derby Trail
- Sabercat to Averett Farm in Louisiana
- Charles Town Cancels Friday Evening Card
- Ohio Begins Examination of Medication Rules
- KY Derby Winner Thunder Gulch Pensioned at 23
- Texas Red Set for Super Return in San Vicente
- Superficial Digital Flexor Tendon Rupture in Older Horses
- Palace Malice Sustains Minor Foot Bruise
- Euro Exchange Tops Finale at OBS Winter Sale
- Upstart is Uplifting for Joanne Nielsen