Jim Tafel's homebred Country Flavor, making his stakes debut for trainer Greg Geier, scored a 21-1 stunner in the $100,000 Hanshin Cup Handicap (gr. III) at Arlington Park May 29.
Jockey Rene Douglas thought he had Saturday's $250,000 Sixty Sails Handicap (gr. III) at Hawthorne measured with Bare Necessities poised for a late-running victory. But he didn't account for the tenacity of Allspice.
Under a hold at the wire by jockey Calvin Borel, Belle of Perintown completed a decisive 8 1/4-length victory over Afternoon Dreams in Saturday's $150,000 Silverbulletday Stakes at Fair Grounds.
The good news for Allspice is the $150,000 Silverbulletday Stakes (gr. II) for 3-year-old fillies does not possess a dominating presence like 2002 winner Take Charge Lady or undefeated Lady Tak.
Undefeated Lady Tak more than answered a question about her distance ability in outclassing the $100,000 Tiffany Lass Stakes field Sunday at Fair Grounds.
Unbeaten Lady Tak , a 3-year-old daughter of Mutakddim cruised to an easy five-length win in the $75,000 Thelma Stakes for 3-year-old fillies Saturday at Fair Grounds.
Richard Englander's Abderian and James B. Tafel's Allspice captured the closing-day Arlington Park stakes races Sunday.
Most Popular Stories
- Lady Eli Pointed to Aug. 27 Ballston Spa
- Exaggerator to Run in Haskell
- Stellar Wind to Challenge Beholder Again
- Nyquist Arrives at Monmouth
- Lexie Lou Headlines Victoriana Stakes
- What's Going On Here: Sporting Gestures
- Stradivari Recuperating After Surgery
- Belmont Winner Creator Returns in Jim Dandy
- Songbird All Heart at Saratoga
- Oaklawn Strengthening 2017 Handicap Division