Jim Tafel's homebred Country Flavor, making his stakes debut for trainer Greg Geier, scored a 21-1 stunner in the $100,000 Hanshin Cup Handicap (gr. III) at Arlington Park May 29.
Jockey Rene Douglas thought he had Saturday's $250,000 Sixty Sails Handicap (gr. III) at Hawthorne measured with Bare Necessities poised for a late-running victory. But he didn't account for the tenacity of Allspice.
Under a hold at the wire by jockey Calvin Borel, Belle of Perintown completed a decisive 8 1/4-length victory over Afternoon Dreams in Saturday's $150,000 Silverbulletday Stakes at Fair Grounds.
The good news for Allspice is the $150,000 Silverbulletday Stakes (gr. II) for 3-year-old fillies does not possess a dominating presence like 2002 winner Take Charge Lady or undefeated Lady Tak.
Undefeated Lady Tak more than answered a question about her distance ability in outclassing the $100,000 Tiffany Lass Stakes field Sunday at Fair Grounds.
Unbeaten Lady Tak , a 3-year-old daughter of Mutakddim cruised to an easy five-length win in the $75,000 Thelma Stakes for 3-year-old fillies Saturday at Fair Grounds.
Richard Englander's Abderian and James B. Tafel's Allspice captured the closing-day Arlington Park stakes races Sunday.
Most Popular Stories
- BC Challenge a Lucrative Entry for Starters
- Can Calculator Figure in BC Juvenile?
- Canterbury Requests 70 Racing Dates for 2015
- That Handicapping Show: Hagyard Fayette S.
- Breeders' Cup Features 201 Pre-Entered Horses
- California's Golden Eagle Farm Set to Close
- Tapit Filly Tops Record F-T October Sale
- Sherman Sees California Chrome Bouncing Back
- BC Classic: How Weak Are the Older Horses?
- Declaration of War Moving to Ashford Stud