Tampa Bay Downs opens its 89th season Nov. 29 with the first of 89 racing days through May 3. The Oldsmar, Fla., track will have 10 races on its opening day card, including three over the turf.
Multiple Eclipse Award winner Gio Ponti returns to Keeneland on Oct. 8 as he seeks to defend his title in the $600,000 Shadwell Turf Mile (gr. IT), one of nine graded stakes over the Lexington track's opening weekend.
Two champions -- Gio Ponti and Informed Decision -- are among the horses scheduled to run at Keeneland this weekend as part of the Lexington track's "FallStars Weekend."
Steady growth in interstate wagering, total handle and purse payouts highlighted the 81st season of live thoroughbred racing at Tampa Bay Downs, which ended May 6. The Oldsmar, Fla., track also celebrated a record single-day attendance May 5 when a crowd of 11,014 witnessed Tampa Bay Derby (gr. III) winner Street Sense capture the 133rd Kentucky Derby.
Allison De Luca has been named director of racing and racing secretary for the 2006-2007 Thoroughbred meet at Tampa Bay Downs, general manager Peter Berube announced Aug. 25.
Most Popular Stories
- Gainesway's Tapizar Has First Winner
- Pegasus World Cup: A Jolt of Reality
- Nyquist Out of Belmont Stakes with Fever
- Suddenbreakingnews Works, Bound for Belmont
- Champs Meet Again in Nassau
- Beholder Fires Bullet, Ready to Rumble
- Nyquist Spikes Fever; Did Not Ship to Belmont
- Miller Promoted at Millennium Farms
- Barretts Sale Features Wide Selection
- Havre de Grace Half Sister Wins at Delaware