The New England Turf Writers Association has elected its Hall of Fame class of 2009, which will be honored along with the 2008 award winners at the organization's annual awards dinner July 16 at the Danversport Yacht Club in Danvers, Mass.
Friel's for Real became a repeat winner of the $82,750 Gala Lil Stakes after slugging it out with a very game Silmaril to win by a head at Laurel Park Saturday.
Sunday's 61st running of the $300,000 Molly Pitcher Breeders' Cup (gr. II), the premier filly-mare event of Monmouth's summer season, drew a select six-horse field.
Gilbert G. Campbell's Touched by Madness broke on top and never looked back, making all the pace in the $100,000 Jersey Derby on the Monmouth Park turf Monday.
Friel's For Real shoots for the second graded stakes win of her career in Friday's $100,000-added Next Move Handicap (gr. III) for fillies and mares at nine furlongs on Aqueduct's main track.
More Smoke started the new year the way he ended the last one, winning this time against newly turned 3-year-olds in Saturday's $50,000 Dancing Count Stakes at Pimlico.
Friel's For Real had never won a stakes race until she overwhelmed a band of older fillies and mares in Saturday's $75,000 Gala Lil Stakes at Laurel Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Stall Guns for Departing's Grade I in Whitney
- Wise Dan Won't Run in Fourstardave
- Del Mar Once Again Shifting Races Off Turf
- Darley's Hard Spun to Return From Japan
- Horse Returned, But Entry Clerk Out of a Job
- Millionaire Halo Dolly Retired from Racing
- Keeneland September Catalogs More Than 4,000
- Best Pal is Next Chapter for Story to Tell
- Will Take Charge vs. Palace Malice in Whitney
- Handle Declines at Churchill-Owned Tracks