Tadahiro Hotehama's homebred T.H. Approval registered his first win in nine attempts on the Santa Anita turf in capturing the $250,000 San Juan Capistrano Invitational Handicap (gr. IIT) by 1 1/2 lengths Saturday.
Stanley Park, who registered a 7-1 upset in his last race, carries top weight of 118 pounds as the likely favorite in the about 1 3/4-mile San Juan Capistrano Invitational Handicap (gr. IIT) on turf, the highlight of Santa Anita Park's closing weekend.
The marathon distance proved no problem for favored Meteor Storm, who kicked away in the stretch and held on for 1 1/2-length victory over Rhythm Mad in the $250,000 San Juan Capistrano Invitational Handicap (gr. IIT), closing the curtain on the 2004 Santa Anita season.
Santa Anita Park concludes its 67th season of racing Sunday featuring the $250,000 San Juan Capistrano Invitational Handicap (gr. IIT) at about 1 ¾ miles on turf, the longest graded race in North America.
Gary Tanaka's Passinetti, a 7-year-old gelding who had been turned out for more than three years and was nearly given away to become a riding horse, became racing's resurrection story of this Easter season Sunday by winning the $400,000 San Juan Capistrano Handicap (gr. IT) at Santa Anita.
Most Popular Stories
- St Nicholas Abbey Progresses in Recovery
- Castellano Closing on Season Earnings Record
- Podcast: Eclipse Awards 2013: Top 3-year-olds
- Slideshow: The Week in Photos for 12/10/2013
- Slideshow: Royal Delta
- Veterinarian-Farrier Team Key to Managing Laminitic Horses
- NJ Senate Committee OKs Instant Racing Bill
- Horizontal Navigation: Blogs and Multimedia
- Gulfstream Expands Lead in Handle
- Ria Antonia Readies for Run Against Boys