Millionaire Willcox Inn had his stallion career cut short when he had to be euthanized after being injured in a paddock accident May 24.
Lael Stable and All In Stable's Willcox Inn narrowly defeated front-running Gallant Eagle to capture his third graded stakes win in the $150,000 Washington Park Handicap at Arlington Park Aug. 31.
Heavy choice Willcox Inn cut the final corner expertly for jockey Robby Albarado and sprinted away from his rivals in the stretch to win the $200,000 Hawthorne Derby Sponsored by TVG (gr. IIIT) by 4 1/2 lengths Oct. 15.
Favored Willcox Inn's romp in the $200,000 American Derby (gr. IIT) on the Arlington Park turf July 9 will give trainer Michael Stidham a shot at sweeping the track's Mid-America Triple for the second year in a row.
Before May 28, Willcox Inn was best known as a horse whose lone win came against Kentucky Derby winner Animal Kingdom. But in scoring the Arlington Classic, the son of Harlan's Holiday is beginning to write his own legacy.
Wilcox Inn and Rough Sailing will represent trainer Michael Stidham in the Breeders' Cup Juvenile Tuf.
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate Brings Baffert Back to World Cup
- Litfin at Large: Getting Handle on Dubai World Cup Card
- Mind Your Biscuits Could Give Summers First Win
- Arrogate Lands Post Nine For Dubai World Cup
- El Areeb Works at Laurel Toward Wood Memorial
- Hope Floats for Hoppertunity in Dubai World Cup
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - March 21, 2017
- HRRN Set for Dubai, Gulfstream Coverage
- Mastery to Claiborne Farm Upon Retirement
- Suffolk Downs Files Paperwork for Racetrack Sale