House In Wood (Fr), dam of the grade I Garden City Stakes winner Alexander Tango (Ire), topped yesterday's one-day Tattersalls February Sale in Newmarket.
Alexander Tango, winner of the Garden City Stakes (gr. IT) at Belmont Park in September, died in a freak accident at the O'Callaghan family's Woods Edge Farm near Lexington.
Alexander Tango, winner of the Garden City Stakes (gr. IT) at Belmont Park in September, died in a freak accident Oct. 30.
A few horses making their final Breeders' Cup preps this weekend have landed in rather soft fields. That cannot be said for the nine fillies and mares entered in the $600,000 Flower Bowl Invitational (gr. IT) at Belmont Park Sept. 29, as an all-star cast has been assembled for the 10-furlong test on the turf.
A Spanish owner and a British trainer are overheard conversing in French following a grade I victory on turf. Welcome to the Belmont Park fall meeting. It is here that the best American grass horses and their trainers and owners get their annual reality check from Europe's advance guard.
Making her first start in America, Noel O'Callaghan's Alexander Tango rated far off the pace and then came charging down the middle of the Belmont Park turf stretch to capture the $250,000 Garden City Stakes (gr. IT) by three-quarters of a length Sept. 8.
Vodafone Derby (Eng-I) runner-up Eagle Mountain scored his first victory of the season when he captured the UAE Racing and Equestrian Federation Royal Whip Stakes (Ire-II) at The Curragh on August 12.
Most Popular Stories
- California Chrome Again Horse of the Year
- One More Time: California Chrome Sizzles in Final Work
- Castellano Scores Fourth Straight Eclipse as Top Jockey
- Arrogate Logs Final Pegasus Work
- Beholder Goes Out a Champion, Earns Fourth Eclipse
- California Chrome Named Champion Older Dirt Male
- Still in Tune, Songbird Earns Second Straight Eclipse
- Finest City Dazzles in Santa Monica
- Champagne Room Earns Toast as Champion 2-Year-Old Filly
- Arrogate, Flintshire Power Juddmonte to Owner Eclipse