This raiding trip to Oaklawn Park for a run at the $750,000 Oaklawn Handicap (G2) comes on the heels of a game runner-up finish in the March 11 Santa Anita Handicap presented by San Manuel Indian Bingo and Casino (G1).
All it took was a couple starts on dirt for Midnight Storm to go from gutsy turf miler to highweight in the premier handicap race on the West Coast.
The 5-year-old son of Pioneerof the Nile galloped out to an easy lead, was never threatened, and drew off to a 7 3/4-length victory.
Bright Thought, winner of the John Henry Turf Championship (gr. IIT) at Santa Anita Park, will not run in the Breeders' Cup Turf (gr. IT), trainer Phil D'Amato said Oct. 17.
Bright Thought turned the tables on his heavily favored stablemate Big John B in the $200,000 John Henry Turf Championship (gr. IIT) Sept. 28 at Santa Anita Park with his first win since March 2013.
Midnight Storm was able to parcel his speed effectively while on an easy lead in the $300,000 Del Mar Derby (gr. IIT) and glided through the stretch in command to post a 17-1 surprise Aug. 31 over the turf.
Bright Thought, a scintillating 3 1/4-length winner of the $150,000 San Luis Rey Stakes going 1 1/2 miles on turf March 16, has established a new world record time of 2:22.72, according to the American Racing Manual.
Bright Thought, making his graded stakes debut, pulled away in the stretch to capture the $150,750 San Luis Rey (gr. IIT) in course record time on the turf March 16 at Santa Anita Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Industry Groups Ask for Change in Parx Oaks Ruling
- Quality Over Quantity in Fasig-Tipton Saratoga Catalog
- Arrogate Breezes at Santa Anita
- Street Surrender, Roman Secure First Stakes Win
- Durkin to Lead Personalized Tours of Hall of Fame
- Irap Gets Best of Girvin in Ohio Derby
- Breeders' Cup Filly & Mare Turf Berth for Birdie Gold
- Society's Chairman Continues Beating the Odds
- Lady Eli, Cloud Computing Among Workers for Brown
- California Sire Benchmark Dead at 26