Chopinina has run well against some of the top males in North America at one mile on turf over her home Woodbine course in Toronto. Trainer Alec Fehr wanted to find a spot for the 5-year-old Canadian-bred mare at one mile against other females.
Time Of War, owned by Steve Stavro's Knob Hill Stable, shocked not only fans, but his trainer as well when he crossed the wire first at 22-1 in Saturday's $128,500 Sir Barton Stakes at Woodbine.
Chopinina, last year's Sovereign Award-winning turf filly, is no longer a bridesmaid after winning Saturday's $219,050 Royal North Handicap (Can-III) on the turf for her first career stakes victory.
It took 2002 standout Chopinina awhile to get over her broken romance, but trainer Alec Fehr feels she's ready to go for her 2003 debut in Sunday's $278,200 Nassau Stakes (Can-II) for fillies andmares on the grass at Woodbine.
Trainer Robert Tiller says a decision on whether Win City, Canada's reigning Horse of the Year, will run in the $1-million Atto Mile (gr. IT) on Sept. 8 has not been made.
Most Popular Stories
- TJC Acquires Majority Interest in Blood-Horse
- Suffolk Downs, Horsemen Have Deal for Meets
- American Pharoah Shows Readiness for Rebel
- Trainer A. C. Avila Suspended, Fined by CHRB
- California Chrome Working Steadily for Dubai
- Caesars' Moves Impact Turfway, ThistleDown
- Nerud 3-Year-Old Wins Again at Big A
- Ben's Cat Maryland-Bred HOY for Fourth Year
- NJ Track Calls for End to Simulcast Impasse
- Baffert: Dortmund is 'Figuring it Out'