Churchill Downs had its first special training session for 2016 Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) and Longines Kentucky Oaks (gr. I) horses April 23, with Fellowship, Brody's Cause, and Tom's Ready among those to work.
Brody's Cause found himself back at home at Keeneland April 9, and the son of Giant's Causeway proved his affinity for the Lexington oval with a strong score in the $1 million Toyota Blue Grass Stakes (gr. I).
With a hefty purse and 170 Kentucky Derby Leaderboard points on the line, the $1 million Blue Grass Stakes (gr. I) April 9 drew a lineup of youngsters whose connections hope a stop at Keeneland paves the way to Churchill.
Grade I winner Brody's Cause is scheduled to make his 3-year-old season debut Saturday, March 12 in the Tampa Bay Derby (gr. II).
Lane's End has acquired an interest in Teresa Viola Racing Stables and West Point Thoroughbreds Liam's Map, according to a news release from the Versailles, Ky. farm.
Travers Stakes (gr. I) winner Keen Ice turned in a steady breeze Oct. 17 at Churchill Downs, preparing for a rematch in the Oct. 31 Breeders' Cup Classic (gr. I) with Triple Crown winner American Pharoah.
The Keeneland September yearling sale closed out its two Book 2 sessions Saturday night in Lexington with a $485,000 Mineshaft colt session-topper and across-the-board gains as compared with last year's Book 2 portion.
Cozzetti made the best of an inside trip along the rail as he got up to nip pacesetter All Stormy by a neck in a four-horse blanket finish in the American Derby (gr. IIIT) at Arlington Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Ben's Cat Victorious in Return at Laurel
- Nyquist Gets First Look at Churchill Downs
- Derby Battle: Tapit vs. Uncle Mo
- A Derby Rookie's First Churchill Morning
- Minding Leads Sweep in One Thousand Guineas
- Lady Shipman Easy Winner in Belmont Return
- Nyquist Another Big Score for Dennis O'Neill
- Nyquist Ships to Churchill Day After Work
- Uncle Lino Game in California Chrome Stakes
- Exaggerator Works for Kentucky Derby Bid