Sierra Sunset, a three-length winner of the $300,000 Rebel (gr. II) March 15 at Oaklawn Park, has a hairline fracture of his left front ankle and is out of consideration for the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I), trainer Jeff Bonde reported.
The Breeders' Cup Juvenile (gr. I) can be a big temptation for the owner of a promising colt that has not yet proven himself to rank with the best. Some yield; others, usually proving wiser, aim for lesser targets, allowing their youngsters to continue their development under less pressure. The latter strategy paid off nicely when Sierra Sunset picked up his third victory and second straight stakes score in the California Cup Juvenile Nov. 3.
Most Popular Stories
- Catch a Glimpse in Good Order After Nassau Scare
- G. G. Ryder Wins All American in Blanket Finish
- Weekend Hideaway Repeats in Commentator
- Gun Runner Breezes for Stephen Foster
- Connections Plan Breeders' Cup Trip for Top Casablanca
- Fourstar Crook Continues Turf Win Streak
- Danzing Candy Wires Lone Star Handicap
- Rey de Oro wins Japanese Derby
- Cupid Returns From Layoff to Win Gold Cup
- Ashleyluvssugar Wins Second Charles Whittingham