Delaware Park shipper Akronism seems to have found a home in Canada, as the 4-year-old filly won her second consecutive graded stakes at Woodbine, this time taking the $157,800 Seaway Stakes (Can-III) by a length Sept. 6.
If Akronism runs the way she did when she won the Royal North Stakes (Can-IIIT) at six furlongs at Woodbine, she stands a good chance of winning the Sept. 6 Seaway Stakes (Can-III) at the Toronto track.
Trainer Tim Ritchey's decision to skip Saratoga's Honorable Miss Handicap (gr. II) with Akronism in favor of the $159,085 Royal North Stakes (Can-III) at Woodbine Aug. 2 proved to be a smart one when the Robert S. Evans homebred bolted to a 3 3/4-length win on the grass.
After a 3 1/4-length stakes triumph on a yielding turf course, the connections for Marina Ballerina certainly won't mind if the Woodbine lawn comes up as something less than firm for the $150,000 Royal North Stakes (Can-III) on Aug. 2.
When Anthony Black broke a pair of ribs and three vertebrae in a spill at Philadelphia Park last November, it finally looked like the end for the 55-year-old jockey. But Black, who won a pair of stakes races on Maryland Million Day, isn't done defying the odds just yet.
Evil Storm, Akronism, and Moon Catcher were among the winners on the Oct. 13 Maryland Million program at Laurel Park.
It looks to be G City Gal's time for victory as she tops a field of seven in the Sept. 8 Endine Stakes (gr. III) for fillies and mares at Delaware Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Broken Pelvis Cause of Charismatic's Death
- Horse of the Year Charismatic Dies
- Gun Runner Rolls to Razorback Handicap Victory
- One Liner Laughs Last in Southwest Stakes Victory
- Classic Empire Out of Fountain of Youth
- Grade 1 Winner Gormley Works Toward Next Start
- Lucky Pulpit, Sire of 'Chrome', Dies of a Heart Attack
- Consignors Bullish on Fasig-Tipton Gulfstream Sale
- Zakaroff 48-1 Stunner in El Camino Real Derby
- Epicharis Earns Japan's Kentucky Derby Bid