The prominent insurance companies American International Group (AIG) and Maroevich, O'Shea & Coghlan (MOC) Insurance Services have each made significant donations to the NTRA Charities Permanently Disabled Jockeys Fund in the past few weeks, the National Thoroughbred Racing Association (NTRA) announced Nov. 1.
The NTRA Jockey Accident Insurance Working Group, in a report that appears mostly advisory in nature, has suggested all segments of the racing industry, including jockeys, help pay for additional insurance coverage for riders.
Churchill Downs Inc. has finalized agreements with AIG Insurance to provide $1 million in on-track insurance coverage for jockeys who compete at CDI racetracks located in states where jockeys are not currently covered by workers' compensation programs.
Partisan wrangling in the California State Assembly on the final day of the 2003 legislative session kept an urgency bill mandating a 0.5% increase in the exotic wagering take-out from gaining final approval Sept. 12. It will likely return for consideration in January.
Southern California Thoroughbred trainers waking up to workers' compensation insurance increases effective July 1 are planning to meet Tuesday at Hollywood Park to consider a possible boycott of the entry box to get the attention of track management and the state legislature.
California Thoroughbred trainers who have not switched their workers' compensation insurance coverage to private carrier American International Group can do so March 1, but the broker who helped negotiate the industry's deal with the insurance giant doesn't think there'll be much, if any, response.
Most Popular Stories
- Final Call for Taylors of Seattle Slew Fame
- 'Chrome' Tops U.S. Nominees for World Cup
- Jockey Chapa Faces Felony Race-Fixing Charges
- Flashy Performances at OBS Day of Champions
- New Leadership Coming for Illinois Board
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen for Jan. 27, 2015
- First Foal Reported for Fort Larned
- Nerud Homebred Colt Wins at Big A
- Washington Owner/Breeder Paxton Dead at 76
- Trickmeister to Tomorrow Bloodstock in NY