Wearing the black and gold colors of historic Calumet Farm, Kerwin Clark split horses aboard Starstruck to take the $170,000 WinStar Matchmaker Stakes (gr. III) at Monmouth Park on July 27.
Good things come to those who wait, and so it was that Calumet Farm's Irish filly Starstruck bided time stalking the pace, waiting for the right moment to take home the win in the 47th Matchmaker Stakes.
Michael Tabor's Johannesburg remained undefeated by beating Miss Beabea by five lengths to win the Independent Waterford Wedgwood Phoenix Stakes (Ire-I) on Sunday at Leopardstown. Also on Sunday, American-bred Bahamian Pirate held off fellow American-bred One Won One to win the Phoenix Sprint Stakes (Ire-III) by a short head.
Most Popular Stories
- Grade 1 Winner, Sire Devil His Due Dies at 28
- Desormeaux Switches Agents to Arroyo
- Cloud Computing Leaves Pimlico, Others Thinking Belmont
- Cloud Computing Wears Down Classic Empire in Preakness
- Into Mischief Filly Tops Early at Midlantic Sale
- Hips to Watch: Day 2 Fasig-Tipton Midlantic Sale
- Trainer Richie Scherer Dies at Age 53
- Speedy Smart Strike Filly Brings $525,000
- Smart Strike Filly Leads the Way at Midlantic Sale
- Jimmy Creed Filly Pride of Endswell's Consignment