While 3-year-olds take the spotlight at Gulfstream Park Feb. 20, a pair of grade III turf stakes for older horses, the Canadian Turf and the Honey Fox, shape up as outstanding supporting features with large fields.
Interest in Keeneland's Pin Oak Valley View (gr. IIIT) for 3-year-old fillies was so high that the Oct. 23 stakes will be run in two divisions. The first division has been carded as the seventh race and attracted 12 runners, and the second division, with a field of 12 and one also-eligible, is the ninth race. Each race will hold its grade III status.
If this is to be its final renewal, the $700,000 American Oaks (gr. IT) at Hollywood Park is going out in style after drawing 16 entrants for the 1 1/4-mile turf event. The truly intriguing field of 3-year-old fillies includes three international aspirants and four challengers from the East Coast.
Five fillies with graded stakes wins on turf and a pair from renowned European trainer Dermot Weld are among 14 invitees to the $700,000 American Oaks (gr. I) at Hollywood Park July 5.
Afternoon Stroll pulled off a 50-1 shocker in the $100,000 Appalachian (gr. IIIT) April 16 on the Keeneland turf, getting up by a nose over Hot Cha Cha in a thrilling photo finish.
Most Popular Stories
- Game On Dude Captures Record Third Big 'Cap
- California Chrome Shines Again in San Felipe
- Featured Horse Profile: Palace Malice
- Palace Malice Returns a Winner in GP Handicap
- Ring Weekend Springs Tampa Bay Derby Upset
- Top Billing Off Derby Trail With Fracture
- Sahara Sky Storms to Second San Carlos Win
- Indian Charlie Son Drills Fast Furlong at OBS
- Winning Prize Streaks Home in Kilroe Mile
- Euphrosyne Elevated to Honeybee Victory