Multiple grade III stakes winner Swift Warrior has been retired to stud at David Spears Racing near Hartshorne, Okla.
Jockey Garrett Gomez boldly announced his return to action with a come-from-behind victory aboard 8-1 shot Dice Flavor in a dramatic finish to the $150,000 La Jolla Handicap (gr. IIT) on the grass Aug. 10 at Del Mar.
by John P. Sparkman
Feb. 16 the 18-year-old Afleet mare Afleet Summer accomplished something none of those four could. On opposite coasts, her 5-year-old son Swift Warrior and her 3-year-old colt Dice Flavor each won.
PORTER ON PEDIGREES, by Alan Porter
Dice Flavor, who scored an impressive victory in this year's El Camino Real Derby, has yet to start on dirt.
Southern California shipper Dice Flavor, whose only four starts had been on grass for trainer Paddy Gallagher, burst away from the field past mid-stretch to easily win the $200,000 El Camino Real Derby (gr. III) Feb. 16.
Surging in the final yards, Swift Warrior prevailed in a tight four-horse finish to the $150,000 Tampa Bay Stakes for his second grade III victory in a row Feb. 16 on the turf at Tampa Bay Downs.
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate Impresses at Santa Anita
- Far From Over Victorious in Return
- How a Sire Line Develops
- Phantom Dollars Flood Track's Double Pool
- Fairplex, Santa Anita House Evacuated Horses
- Exclusive Contest: Name the White-Headed Foal
- Too Early to Gauge 'Brexit' Effect on Sales
- Mohaymen Back to Work in New York
- Putting Uncle Mo in Perspective
- Nyquist to Work in Afternoon at Santa Anita