A nostril separated the top two finishers in Saturday's $259,500 Susan's Girl Stakes, the second leg of the Florida Sire Stakes series' filly division at Gulfstream Park, and it was a 41-1 long shot that got the nod.
When Stanley Gold saddled Sing Praises to win the Dr. Fager Stakes, the first leg of the Florida Sires Stakes series, the veteran trainer joined exclusive company in the annals of the series for 2-year-olds.
Kaleem Shah's favored Can the Man took the early lead and never was seriously threatened en route to a wire-to-wire victory in the $100,000 Affirmed Stakes (gr. III) for 3-year-olds at Santa Anita Park June 7.
Trainer Doug O'Neill has a pair of up-and-coming 3-year-olds, Friendswith K Mill and Frensham, preparing for the second half of the 2014 campaign in the $100,000 Affirmed Stakes (gr. III) June 7 at Santa Anita Park.
Son of Point Given could be a major 3YO threat in second half of 2011. read blog
Both the Dr. Fager and Desert Vixen first-round Florida Stallion Stakes divisions for 2-year-olds at Calder Race Course produced mild upsets of favorites and round two comes Saturday in the $125,000 Affirmed and $125,000 Susan's Girl divisions at seven furlongs.
Kentucky Derby (gr. I) sixth-place finisher Came Home will return to the races June 23 at Hollywood Park in the Affirmed Stakes (gr. III), the final local prep for the $500,000 Swaps Stakes (gr. II) on July 14.
Most Popular Stories
- BC Classic: How Weak Are the Older Horses?
- Hollendorfer: Shared Belief Has 'Great' Work
- O'Neill and Racing's Slow Regulatory Process
- F-T October Running Ahead of 2013 Record Pace
- Raffetto Joins New England HBPA Effort
- HRTV to Air Live Coverage of Breeders' Cup
- KY Necropsy Program Disproves 'Bad Step' Myth
- Trakus Coming to Some Australian Racecourses
- F-T October Yearling Sale Recap Day 2
- Podcast: Bob Baffert and the Breeders' Cup