Istanford, who would have been among the leading contenders in the $300,000 Del Mar Oaks (gr. I), instead romped to victory in the $96,350 Sandy Blue Handicap as the heavy favorite the evening of Aug. 15.
Guided through a smooth trip by Rafael Bejarano, Istanford led every step of the way at 10-1 odds to dominate the $200,000 San Clemente Handicap (gr. IIT) on the renovated turf course at Del Mar July 19.
Front-running filly Istanford took it to her male rivals early and held on late, carrying home a stylish victory in the $150,000 Arlington Classic Stakes (gr. IIIT) at Arlington Park.
Arindel Farm's 2006 Eclipse champion 3-year-old filly Wait a While makes her anticipated return to competition as a heavy favorite in a field of eight older fillies and mares entered in Sunday's $100,000 Honey Fox Handicap (gr. IIIT) on the Gulfstream Park turf.
Moncreax Stable's 5-year-old Irish-bred mare Naissance Royale appears to be a standout among 12 fillies and mares entered in Saturday's $75,000 Marshua's River Stakes at Gulfstream Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Saratoga Attendance Spikes; Handle Declines
- Competitive Edge Super Sharp in Hopeful Romp
- Study: Boots, Wraps Increase Leg Heat during Exercise
- Del Mar Trainers to Hop in Bouncey Ball Race
- Miss Serendipity, Blanc Snatch Yellow Ribbon
- Sharp Sensation Edges Ben's Cat in 'Monster
- Fall Meet at Los Alamitos Begins Sept. 5
- Cary Street Rides Rail to Greenwood Surprise
- Protonico Surges in Smarty Jones for Pletcher
- Ring Weekend at Home on Turf in Saranac Win