Briecat led all the way for jockey Patrick Valenzuela to score a 13-1 upset by a neck in the $150,000 Las Palmas Handicap (gr. IIT) on closing day of the Oak Tree meet Oct. 31 over the Hollywood Park turf.
PORTER ON PEDIGREES, by Alan Porter
Brilliant speed isn't the trait you'd expect from the offspring of Briecat's sire and dam. Her sire Adcat won his best race at nine furlongs. Briecat's broodmare sire Marlin won a grade I race at 1 3/4 miles, the 1997 San Juan Capistrano Invitational Handicap. And yet, here is Briecat, who won the Bayakoa H. (gr. II) in near track-record time.
Upsetter Briecat used her speed to best advantage in Hollywood Park's $150,000 Bayakoa Handicap (gr. II) Dec. 7, turning back a challenge from even-money favorite Model in the homestretch and posting a 2 1/4-length front-running win.
Swift Mercedes, from the first crop of graded turf stakes winner Adcat, became his sire's first winner when winning Oct. 23 at Calder Race Course.
Elaine C. Bassford's 5-year-old Dynamic Trick earned his first graded stakes win at Laurel Park Saturday, when he held off the late rush of betting favorite Adcat to win the Laurel Turf Cup Stakes (gr. IIIT) by a neck in a blanket finish.
Graded stakes winner Adcat, a son of Storm Cat who has $415,597 in earnings, will enter stud for $5,000 live foal at Michael Sherman's Farnsworth Farms near Ocala, Fla.
Most Popular Stories
- Nyquist Out of Belmont Stakes with Fever
- Nyquist Spikes Fever; Did Not Ship to Belmont
- Beholder Fires Bullet, Ready to Rumble
- Suddenbreakingnews Works, Bound for Belmont
- Derby Runner-Up Commanding Curve Retired
- Gainesway's Tapizar Has First Winner
- Champs Meet Again in Nassau
- Pegasus World Cup: A Jolt of Reality
- Havre de Grace Half Sister Wins at Delaware
- Barretts Sale Features Wide Selection