Officials said New York Gov. Eliot Spitzer doesn't plan to reopen the bidding process for the state's Thoroughbred franchise--but he doesn't feel obligated to follow the recommendation of a screening panel, either.
Empire Racing Associates, a finalist for New York's Thoroughbred racing franchise, on Nov. 27 released a plan addressing measures designed to improve racing and training safety.
The state panel considering bids for a new Thoroughbred franchise in New York has eliminated one of the potential suitors.
Officials in New York are considering pushing back the Sept. 29 deadline for the recommendation by a state panel on which entity should be awarded the franchise now held by the New York Racing Association.
The year's Jockey Club Round Table conference had a decidedly New York theme, with the New York Racing Association espousing its progress and commitment to Thoroughbred racing and breeding in the state, and a representative of the Ad Hoc Committee on the Future of Racing in New York saying the panel is carrying out its mandate.
The New York comptroller has called on the Ad Hoc Committee on the Future of Racing in New York to supplement its request for proposals for Thoroughbred racing franchise-holders to require respondents to specifically address initiatives intended to ensure the integrity of racing and wagering recommended in 2005 by court-appointed federal monitor Getnick & Getnick.
The head of the New York panel overseeing the bidding process for a new operator of the state's Thoroughbred racetracks is pushing to release the bidding package this week.
Most Popular Stories
- Indicators Drop at Ocala August Yearling Sale
- Speedy Moreno Dangerous Again in Woodward
- Santa Anita's Main Track to Reopen Sept. 2
- Target on Wise Dan for Bernard Baruch Return
- Sunset Glow Has Experience Edge in Debutante
- Gains Posted as Doncaster Premier Sale Ends
- Solis Returns to California to Ride Full Time
- Miss Behaviour Cuts Back for Prioress Run
- Kentucky Considers Allowing Salix-Free Races
- Tritap, a Son of Tapit, to Heritage Stallions