Supercharger, the dam of 2010 Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) winner Super Saver, delivered a healthy colt by champion sire Tiznow April 11 at 11:50 p.m. at Hill 'n' Dale Fam in Lexington, Ky.
Odds-on choice Big Booster moved closer to a potential run at the inaugural Breeders' Cup Dirt Marathon this fall, lumbering to victory over three outmatched rivals in the first Gallant Man Handicap over 1 5/8 miles on the Hollywood Park Cushion Track.
PORTER ON PEDIGREES, by Alan Porter
Two years ago, Big Booster was a $35,000-$39,000 claimer running at Belmont Park. Today, he has the honor of being a grade II winner, having just taken the San Juan Capistrano Invitational Handicap at Santa Anita Park. The move west and several goes over the synthetic turf reinvigorated Big Booster's racing career.
Trainer Mike Mitchell and jockey Rafael Bejarano punctuated their 2007-08 Santa Anita meet titles when they teamed to win the marathon $250,000 San Juan Capistrano Invitational Handicap (gr. IIT) with Big Booster on closing day of the stand April 20.
Shug McGaughey has trained more than a handful of outstanding fillies, but he has yet to win the Spinaway Stakes (gr. I). He will try to change that with the Phipps homebred Daydreaming, a full sibling to grade II winner Accelerator.
Graded stakes winner Accelerator was represented by his first winner when his daughter Hop On It won June 14
Central Kentucky stallion Accelerator has been purchased by the Turkish Jockey Club.
Most Popular Stories
- Unique Bella Sidelined Due to Shin Issue
- Classic Empire to Arkansas Derby After Impressive Work
- McCraken, Gunnevera Top Kentucky Derby Future Wager
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - March 28, 2017
- Arrogate Last to First in Dubai World Cup
- Tepin Refuses to Work March 27 at Palm Meadows
- Tapit Colt Tops Barretts Hips to Watch
- Arrogate and How We Define Greatness
- Tumblebrutus Gets 25th Black-Type Winner
- Fasig-Tipton Adds New Sale Aimed at Turf Prospects