Supercharger, the dam of 2010 Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) winner Super Saver, delivered a healthy colt by champion sire Tiznow April 11 at 11:50 p.m. at Hill 'n' Dale Fam in Lexington, Ky.
Odds-on choice Big Booster moved closer to a potential run at the inaugural Breeders' Cup Dirt Marathon this fall, lumbering to victory over three outmatched rivals in the first Gallant Man Handicap over 1 5/8 miles on the Hollywood Park Cushion Track.
PORTER ON PEDIGREES, by Alan Porter
Two years ago, Big Booster was a $35,000-$39,000 claimer running at Belmont Park. Today, he has the honor of being a grade II winner, having just taken the San Juan Capistrano Invitational Handicap at Santa Anita Park. The move west and several goes over the synthetic turf reinvigorated Big Booster's racing career.
Trainer Mike Mitchell and jockey Rafael Bejarano punctuated their 2007-08 Santa Anita meet titles when they teamed to win the marathon $250,000 San Juan Capistrano Invitational Handicap (gr. IIT) with Big Booster on closing day of the stand April 20.
Shug McGaughey has trained more than a handful of outstanding fillies, but he has yet to win the Spinaway Stakes (gr. I). He will try to change that with the Phipps homebred Daydreaming, a full sibling to grade II winner Accelerator.
Graded stakes winner Accelerator was represented by his first winner when his daughter Hop On It won June 14
Central Kentucky stallion Accelerator has been purchased by the Turkish Jockey Club.
Most Popular Stories
- Exaggerator to Rest at WinStar
- Hill Specialist Ambitious Brew Takes Eddie D.
- Postponed Clear Favorite in Arc de Triomphe
- Suffolk Downs Applies for Six 2017 Race Dates
- California Chrome Draws Rail in Awesome Again
- Tepin Works Half-Mile at Saratoga
- NYRA Sanctioned for Aqueduct Water Pollution
- Charlton’s Abbotts Retiring on Own Terms
- Champion Hidden Lake Dies at 23
- New Santa Anita Turf Course Passes First Test