Television personality Alex Trebek livened up Thursday morning activities at Nakayama racecourse, joking during a press conference that he would spend the night teaching his Japan Cup Dirt (Jpn-I) contender Reba's Gold how to "turn right."
Among the horses preparing for the Nov. 23 and 24 grade I races in Japan are Abreeze, Indigenous, Red Sun, and Storming Home, who are already in Japan.
Japanese owner and breeder Fusao Sekiguchi has bought an ownership interest from Gary Tanaka in Eddie Read Handicap (gr. IT) winner Sarafan, who trainer Neil Drysdale said was scheduled to depart for Tokyo on Tuesday night to contest the Nov. 24 Japan Cup (Jpn-I).
Homebred Evening Attire wins the Jockey Club Gold Cup for T.J. Kelly and Joe and Mary Grant.
Pure Prize lands the Classic amid shallow handicap competition; Vindication moves forward on Kentucky Cup program.
Dollar Bill, winless in stakes competition this year, but with several strong graded placings, was installed the 3-1 morning line favorite for Saturday's Kentucky Cup Classic (gr. II) to be run at Turfway Park in northern Kentucky.
In a race absent of grade I winners, Saturday's $400,000 Kentucky Cup Classic (gr. II) at Turfway Park looks to be up for grabs with grade II winner and millionaire Dollar Bill leading the list of seven possible starters. Dollar Bill, who will be reunited with jockey Pat Day, is the starting highweight at 117 pounds.
Dollar Bill breezed Sept. 8, and Abreeze is scheduled to work Sept.10, in preparation for the Sept. 14 Kentucky Cup Classic (gr. II) at Turfway Park.
A field of six or seven older horses, including two based locally, are expected to contest Sunday's $350,000 Iselin Handicap (gr. II) at 1 1/8 miles.
Most Popular Stories
- Long-Term Vision Possible After Equine Cataract Surgery
- Plan in Works to Save Suffolk Downs Racing
- Espinoza Suspended for Awesome Again Ride
- Figures Decline at F-T Midlantic Fall Sale
- Two-Time Gr. I Winner Strategic Maneuver Dies
- Rosalind to Fasig-Tipton November Sale
- Simulcast Conference: HD Options Progressing
- Desormeaux to Hospital After Kick by Horse
- Kay Outlines Recent Successes to NYRA Board
- Record Prize Money Expected for NHC, NHC Tour