By winning a quarter-mile race at Sunland Park March 1, Zuellas Heat became the first 2-year-old winner of 2014 and first Northern Hemisphere winner for freshman sire Southwestern Heat, a son of 2001 champion filly Xtra Heat.
Explosively Fast, a son of Ghostly Moves, brought the top price for a Thoroughbred of $59,500 during the New Mexico-bred Quarter Horse and Thoroughbred yearling sale Aug. 18 at Ruidoso Downs.
Southwestern Heat, a 6-year-old son of Gone West produced from the champion mare Xtra Heat, will enter stud in 2011 at A&A Ranch in Anthony, New Mexico.
Son of Seattle Slew was the sire of 20 stakes winners including last year's Breeders' Cup Turf Sprinnt winner California Flag
Wild Deputy, a successful sire in New Mexico, has been relocated to Fred and Linda Alexander's A&A Ranch near Anthony, N.M.
Millionaire Lazy Lode has arrived for stallion duty at Fred Alexander's A&A Ranch near Anthony, N.M.
Most Popular Stories
- Honor Code Gets Tightener for Seasonal Debut
- Florida Derby Card to Receive Purse Incentive
- Hernandez Reaches 1,000th Victory Milestone
- Game On Dude Captures Record Third Big 'Cap
- Featured Horse Profile: Palace Malice
- California Chrome Shines Again in San Felipe
- Palace Malice Returns a Winner in GP Handicap
- Ring Weekend Springs Tampa Bay Derby Upset
- Top Billing Off Derby Trail With Fracture
- Indian Charlie Son Drills Fast Furlong at OBS