By winning a quarter-mile race at Sunland Park March 1, Zuellas Heat became the first 2-year-old winner of 2014 and first Northern Hemisphere winner for freshman sire Southwestern Heat, a son of 2001 champion filly Xtra Heat.
Explosively Fast, a son of Ghostly Moves, brought the top price for a Thoroughbred of $59,500 during the New Mexico-bred Quarter Horse and Thoroughbred yearling sale Aug. 18 at Ruidoso Downs.
Southwestern Heat, a 6-year-old son of Gone West produced from the champion mare Xtra Heat, will enter stud in 2011 at A&A Ranch in Anthony, New Mexico.
Son of Seattle Slew was the sire of 20 stakes winners including last year's Breeders' Cup Turf Sprinnt winner California Flag
Wild Deputy, a successful sire in New Mexico, has been relocated to Fred and Linda Alexander's A&A Ranch near Anthony, N.M.
Millionaire Lazy Lode has arrived for stallion duty at Fred Alexander's A&A Ranch near Anthony, N.M.
Most Popular Stories
- Easter Filly for Horse of the Year Zenyatta
- Four-Day OBS Spring Sale Kicks Off April 21
- Dude! Imperative Shocks Charles Town Classic
- Untapable Breezes at Churchill Downs
- Cairo Prince Injured, Out of Kentucky Derby
- Dynamic Impact Nabs 'Hawk in Illinois Derby
- Featured Horse Profile: Frac Daddy
- Kentucky Derby Stars Come Out at Keeneland
- Reddam's Bond Holder Succumbs to Laminitis
- Determined Isla Bonita Wins Japanese Guineas