A New Twist topped a depleted field in Wednesday's Keeneland feature, the $132,769 Madison Stakes. Favorite You, September Secret, and Slews Final Answer all scratched after rain left the track muddy.
Odds-on favorite A New Twist set the pace through the opening quarter-mile then dueled with Cherokee Girl for a half-mile, before 22-1 longshot Take the Cake rolled by the leading pair to win the $100,000 Forward Gal Stakes (gr. III) by 3 1/4 lengths Sunday at Gulfstream Park.
Jerry Bailey's bag was packed for a flight to Southern California to ride Squirtle Squirt in the next day's Palos Verdes Handicap (gr. II). However, having just piloted Del Mar Show to victory in Gulfstream's Fort Lauderdale Handicap (gr. IIIT), the Hall of Fame rider was steamed enough to power the airplane by himself.
A New Twist upset 3-10 favorite Forest Heiress by 3 1/2 lengths Sunday in the $100,000 Old Hat Stakes for 3-year-old fillies on a showery day at Gulfstream Park. In her most recent start prior to the Old Hat, A New Twist finished second to Forest Heiress in the Valley Stream Stakes (gr. III) at Aqueduct.
New Farm earned its second graded stakes win as an owner this weekend when homebred Forest Heiress pulled away in the stretch to win the six-furlong, $80,775 Valley Stream Stakes (gr. III) at Aqueduct Sunday. On Saturday, New Farm's Delaware Township reeled of a victory in the Frank J. De Francis Memorial Dash Stakes (gr. I) at Laurel Park. Ben Perkins Jr. trains both horses.
On Parade, one of the most highly anticipated fillies in years, will go for her second consecutive victory when she heads a field of six drawn for the grade III, $75,000 added Valley Stream at Aqueduct Sunday.
Most Popular Stories
- Pletcher Breezes Four Kentucky Derby Hopefuls
- Espinoza Wins First Race After HOF Announcement
- Classic Empire a Pro in Four-Furlong Move
- Girvin Battling Quarter Crack, KY Derby Not Ruled Out
- Sano Star Gunnevera Goes Easy Five Furlongs
- BloodHorse.com Launches BackTrack Channel
- Blinkers Likely for Practical Joke in Kentucky Derby
- Vexatious Stands Out in Oaks Move
- O'Neill Confident After Irap's Mile Work
- Quiet Business Wins Bewitch on Keeneland's Closing Day