Monterey Jazz and jockey Tyler Baze played come and catch me in Hollywood Park's American Handicap (gr. II) July 4 on the grass. Guess what? No one did.
Multiple graded stakes winner Monterey Jazz eclipsed a 15-year-old Hollywood Park turf mark when he clocked a mile in 1:32.59 while winning a $58,400 allowance race by 3 3/4 lengths May 24.
Southern California invader Monterey Jazz led the $300,000 Texas Mile (gr. III) procession nearly every step of the way to register an eight-length laugher over five overmatched foes at Lone Star Park April 26.
Monterey Jazz made the transition from graded turf winner to Cushion Track with aplomb, going gate to wire to sneak away with the $300,000 Strub (gr. II) at Santa Anita Feb. 2.
Monterey Jazz hit all the right notes on Dec. 26, opening day at Santa Anita Park, by going nearly gate to wire to win the $122,100 Sir Beaufort (gr. IIIT) in his stakes debut.
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate Last to First in Dubai World Cup
- Fast and Accurate Scores Spiral Upset
- Fear the Cowboy Takes Skip Away in Late Drive
- Thunder Snow Gets Up in UAE Derby
- Mind Your Biscuits Rises to Occasion in Golden Shaheen
- Juvenile Sales Scene Moves West to Barretts
- Fields Set for Louisiana Derby, Fair Grounds Oaks
- I Thought I had Seen it All
- Second Summer Catches Sharp Azteca in Godolphin Mile
- Irish War Cry Works With Wood Memorial Bid Likely