Hall of Fame jockey John Velazquez reached 5,000 career victories in North America June 14 after going 3-for-3 on the afternoon at Belmont Park.
Veteran jockey T.D. Houghton registered the 5,000th win of his career May 4 when he guided 3-5 favorite Mambo Galliano, owned by Shane Spiess, to a 6 1/2-length victory in a $4,000 claiming race at Thistledown.
Borel was told by his doctor Jan. 29 that he needs at least one more week to heal his broken wrist. He will not be riding this week at Oaklawn Park, according to his longtime agent Jerry Hissam.
Win 5,000 will have to wait. Veteran reinsman Calvin Borel has sustained a minor wrist fracture that will keep him on the sidelines for about 18 days.
Jockey Tim Doocy became the 25th rider to win 5,000 races when he guided Color Out to victory in the nightcap at Oaklawn Park on April 4.
Hall of Fame jockey Kent Desormeaux reached a historic milestone at Saratoga Race Course July 27 when he guided Gumpster Stables' Bella Attrice to win the seventh race and notch his 5,000th career victory.
Jockey Mark Guidry, winner of last year's Kentucky Oaks (gr. I) aboard Lemons Forever, earned the 5,000th victory of his career when he piloted the D.Wayne Lukas-trained Chippewa Trail to win the first race on Churchill's 133rd Kentucky Oaks (gr. I) undercard May 4.
Jockey Ronald Ardoin rode three winners in a row at Louisiana Downs on Sunday to become the 16th rider in North American racing history to reach that plateau.
Most Popular Stories
- Unique Bella Sidelined Due to Shin Issue
- Classic Empire to Arkansas Derby After Impressive Work
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - March 28, 2017
- Arrogate Last to First in Dubai World Cup
- Tepin Refuses to Work March 27 at Palm Meadows
- Tapit Colt Tops Barretts Hips to Watch
- Arrogate and How We Define Greatness
- Fasig-Tipton Adds New Sale Aimed at Turf Prospects
- Rowand Shared His Experiences Owning, Breeding Horses
- Skychai Racing Purchases Interest in Fast and Accurate