Lester Piggott, Britain's 11-time champion jockey, is recovering in intensive care at a Swiss hospital after the recurrence of a heart problem that initially appeared last December.
Michael Tabor and Mrs. John Magnier's Bessemer Trust Breeders' Cup Juvenile (gr. I) winner Johannesburg begins 2002 as the future-book favorite for both the Sagitta Two Thousand Guineas (Eng-I) and the Kentucky Derby (gr. I). Both races will be run on May 4.
Led by 20-1 longshot Black Minnaloushe, a trio of Aidan O'Brien trainees filled the top three finishing positions in the Entenmann's Irish Two Thousand Guineas (Ire-I) on Saturday at the Curragh. Mozart finished second, with 2-1 favorite Minardi third. Tamburlaine, second to Golan in the English equivalent, finished fifth in the 12-horse field.
Most Popular Stories
- Alto Aims High With Materiality
- American Pharoah Has Lone Churchill Breeze
- Dortmund, Other CA Shippers Arrive at CD
- Three Derby Hopefuls Have Derby-Winning Sires
- Champ Calgary Cat Up Late in Jacques Cartier
- Three to Represent New York in Derby
- Social Inclusion Second in 2015 Debut
- Dortmund Runs Easy in Final Derby Drill
- Calumet Farm: The Rebirth of a Legend
- The Pharoah Show Gets Rave Reviews