Respected horseman Marvin Little Jr. passed away July 4 after a long battle with cancer. Born July 13, 1937, he died just shy of his 80th birthday.
Jockey Tyler Gaffalione celebrated July 4 with his own brand of fireworks, riding seven winners on the holiday card at Gulfstream Park.
With even-money favorite Om close behind all the way in the $100,000 American Stakes (G3T) July 4 at Santa Anita Park, Nick Alexander's Tribal Rule homebred turned back the multiple graded stakes winner and picked up a graded victory of his own.
Mark Breen's Fort Wise Treaty became the first winner for freshman sire Fort Larned July 4 with a neck victory in a mile turf race at Ellis Park.
Fourstar Crook stepped up in class and collected her eighth straight victory, kicking powerfully down the middle of the course for a 2 1/4-length win in the Dr. James Penny Memorial Stakes (G3T).
With back-to-back graded stakes victories to his credit coming in, Stronach Stables' homebred Shaman Ghost figures to be the overwhelming pick in the field of six entered for the July 8 $750,000 Suburban Handicap (G2) at Belmont Park.
Southern California-based It Tiz Well will travel east for the $300,000 Delaware Oaks (G3) July 8 at Delaware Park, a 1 1/16-mile race for 3-year-old fillies that also has attracted recent Black-Eyed Susan Stakes (G2) winner Actress.
Zipessa will be seeking her first victory of season and try to end a five-race skid dating back to last season when the 5-year-old daughter of City Zip starts in the $200,000 Robert G. Dick Memorial Stakes (G3T) at Delaware Park July 8.
A half-dozen years after Groupie Doll graced Ellis Park for the first time, the impact of the multiple Eclipse Award-winning sprinter still resonates at the summertime home of racing in the Bluegrass.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Accelerate Springs Stunning Upset as Arrogate Falters
- Baffert Still Aiming Arrogate for Pacific Classic
- Gutsy Move Gets Abel Tasman CCA Oaks Win
- Lady Eli Runs 'One of Her Greatest Races to Date'
- Gun Runner Posts Bullet in Breeze for Whitney
- Madam Dancealot Closes From Last to Win San Clemente
- Girvin Has Final Work Ahead of Haskell
- Glamanation First Stakes Winner for Point of Entry
- Maryland Horse of the Year Ben's Cat Dies
- Brown in High Spirits After Three Saratoga Wins