In her fourth start, and first outside of Santa Anita Park, Gary Hartunian's Chalon impressed in a stacked Jersey Girl Stakes for 3-year-old fillies June 11 at Belmont Park.
In a late charge, Stronach Stables' homebred Holy Helena stormed down the middle of the Woodbine stretch to defeat 11 others by a length in the $500,000 Woodbine Oaks Presented by Budweiser June 11.
Unraced since November 2015, grade 1 winner Big Macher returned a winner in Santa Anita Park's $100,000 Thor's Echo Handicap June 11 for trainer Richard Baltas.
Claiborne Farm's freshmen sire Orb had his first winner June 11 when Earth won in his debut at Gulfstream Park.
- By Steve Haskin
Tonalist...Frosted...Creator...Tapwrit. If not for Triple Crown winner American Pharoah defeating Frosted in 2015, Tapwrit would have been Tapit's fourth consecutive Belmont Stakes winner.
With Ocala Breeders' Sales scheduled to close out the 2-year-olds in training sale season June 13-14, it will mark the end of a robust year that has seen across-the-board success for pinhookers and sales companies.
Tired but good was the official declaration of how Tapwrit was doing Sunday morning, less than 24 hours after his two-length victory in the final leg of the Triple Crown.
Claire Novak pays a visit to Belmont Stakes winner Tapwrit and checks in on the status of several other Belmont contenders including Irish War Cry, Patch, Gormley, Senior Investment, and Hollywood Handsome.
While the scratch of Epicharis (JPN) impacted the amount of money wagered, the Belmont Stakes presented by NYRA Bets (G1) June 10 at Belmont Park still became the first United States classic simulcast into Japan.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- 'Hermaphrodite' Reported Before Race at Santa Anita
- Brothers in Arms: Idaho Takes Hardwicke Stakes
- Mind Your Biscuits Emerges Well From Bullet Work
- Stormin Fever Euthanized at 23
- Undefeated Caravaggio Shines in Commonwealth Cup
- Casse Duo Set for Queen's Plate Run
- Litfin at Large: Class Horses Figure in Ohio Derby
- Neolithic Back Galloping After Respiratory Illness
- Kentucky Derby Starters Reunite in Ohio Derby
- The Stronach Group Considers New England Venture