Winx, Australia's reigning super mare, had no trouble with the heavy turf against six overmatched opponents in the March 18 China Horse Club George Ryder Stakes (G1) and rolled to her 16th straight win by more than seven lengths.
Gunnevera did not exactly burst onto the scene when he dismantled nine other Fountain of Youth (G2) rivals March 4 at Gulfstream Park.
A minor injury has delayed two-time champion Songbird's training in 2017, Fox Hill Farm's Victoria Keith said March 17.
With the May 6 Humana Distaff (G1) at Churchill Downs penciled in for her 4-year-old debut, Carina Mia could be a prime contender to reign over a wide-open female sprint division.
Both houses of the Kentucky Legislature have approved a bill that would designate horses as livestock. Once signed by the governor, the new law would provide new benefits and legal consistency.
Jockey Abimael Medina earned the first win of his career March 17 at Gulfstream Park, where he guided Sir Hannoun to a decisive victory in the fifth race.
A total of 1,208 juveniles have been cataloged for the four-day sale, set for April 25-28.
- By BloodHorse Staff
- Thoroughbred Racing, Triple Crown, Northeast Region, Kentucky, Mid-Atlantic Region
Though a final decision has yet to be made, M M G Stables' multiple grade 3 winner El Areeb is likely to take his next steps along the Triple Crown trail in the $750,000 Wood Memorial Stakes (G2) April 8 at Aqueduct Racetrack.
Millionaire Da Big Hoss, a winner of four graded stakes during his 2016 campaign, took a step closer to his seasonal debut by working six furlongs on the dirt in 1:14.42 at Gulfstream Park March 17.
- By Dave Litfin
- Thoroughbred Racing, Handicapping, Midwest Region, Southeast Region, Southwest Region, West Region
Older fillies and mares in the spotlight at both Oaklawn Park and Santa Anita Park.
The 3-year-old Hussonet gelding out of champion Almah sold to Peter Lau for HK$10.5 million.
The Silver Deputy branch of the Deputy Minister sire line—has suffered two blows recently via export. They would be Silver Deputy’s son Posse, and Posse’s son Kodiak Kowboy, now in Uruguay and Brazil, respectively.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Focused Hemsworth Entered in Curlin Stakes
- Accelerate Springs Stunning Upset as Arrogate Falters
- Stronach Group Explores Expansion into Massachusetts
- Baffert Still Aiming Arrogate for Pacific Classic
- Gutsy Move Gets Abel Tasman CCA Oaks Win
- Big World to be Offered at Fasig-Tipton November Sale
- Abel Tasman, Elate Exit CCA Oaks in Good Order
- Hard Aces Looks for Repeat in Cougar II
- Lady Eli Runs 'One of Her Greatest Races to Date'
- Awesome Banner Posts Bullet Ahead of Vanderbilt