Artemis Agrotera polished off pacesetter La Verdad midstretch and sprinted clear to an overpowering victory in the $500,000 Ballerina Stakes (gr. I) Aug. 23 at Saratoga Race Course.
Alex and JoAnn Lieblong's The Big Beast jumped up from allowance company to grade I competition and did not disappoint his connections Aug. 23, winning the King's Bishop (gr. I) by a neck.
Big John B, a $50,000 claim in April, qualified for the Breeders' Cup Turf (gr. IT) with a runaway victory in the $200,000 Del Mar Handicap (gr. IIT) Aug. 22.
Zanim R. Meahjohn's 13-1 chance Rusty Slipper seized the lead nearing the sixteenth pole and comfortably earned her first graded stakes win in the $109,000 Violet Stakes (gr. IIIT) Aug. 23 at Monmouth Park.
Making just her third career start, Speed Seeker became a stakes winner when she rallied from off the pace to take the $154,417 Ontario Colleen Stakes (Can-IIIT) over the Woodbine turf course Aug. 23.
Phipps Stable homebred Abaco made an eye-catching swoop from last and prevailed in a thrilling finish with Strathnaver in the Ballston Spa Stakes (gr. IIT) Aug. 23 at Saratoga Race Course.
The Ocala Breeders' Sales Co.'s 2014 August yearling sale begins Tuesday, Aug. 26 with 1,037 yearlings cataloged. The three-day sale gets under way at 10:30 a.m. with 258 horses offered in the selected session.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Always Dreaming Officially Ruled Out of Belmont Stakes
- Zayat Pinhooking Venture Returns Large Profit
- Graded Stakes Winner Destin Set for 2017 Debut
- Weekend Stakes Rundown: Gold Cup Day
- Champion Songbird Confirmed for Ogden Phipps
- Classic Empire to Begin Belmont Training
- Familiar Faces Highlight New York Showcase
- Litfin: Gold Cup Figures to Set up Well for Accelerate
- Epicharis Begins Journey to Belmont Park
- Hong Kong Champion Able Friend Retired