The important summer meetings at Del Mar and Saratoga Race Course each registered improved numbers compared with their 2013 seasons. Total handle was up at Del Mar; Saratoga saw total handle improve and a spike in attendance.
West Point Thoroughbreds' Kentucky Derby runner-up Commanding Curve could make his first start since his ninth-place finish in the Belmont Stakes (gr. I) in the July 25 Curlin Stakes at Saratoga Race Course.
Better Lucky, last by more than a dozen lengths after a half-mile, came flying down the stretch to catch Grace Hall at the finish to win the $100,000 Shine Again Stakes by a head at Saratoga Race Course July 21.
Willis Horton and Three Chimneys Farm's Will Take Charge breezed five furlongs July 21 in anticipation of his next start in the Aug. 2 Whitney Invitational Handicap (gr. I).
Longines Kentucky Oaks (gr. I) winner Untapable, a perfect four-for-four in 2014, on July 21 put in her final breeze for the $1 million William Hill Haskell Invitational (gr. I).
Jockey Jane Magrell won her 1,000th race July 20 when Box Office Smash won an allowance race at ThistleDown Racino in Ohio.
Stakes winners Favorite Tale and Choctaw Chuck are the 121-pound co-highweights among seven 3-year-olds entered for the $100,000 Quick Call Stakes at Saratoga Race Course.
Maggi Moss' Kiss to Remember, one-for-one on the turf, will seek her second stakes victory in the $200,000 Indiana Grand Stakes for 3-year-old fillies at Indiana Grand Race Course July 23.
Grade I winner Heir Kitty was purchased Emmanuel de Seroux's Narvick International on behalf of a Japanese buyer for $750,000 to top the July 20 Del Mar paddock sale.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Stronach Still Seeking New Heights for Racing
- R. A. Hill Stable Buys Into Breaking Lucky
- Uncontested Romp in Smarty Jones
- Metaboss to Harris Farms in California
- First Foal by Palace Malice Born
- Classic Empire Aims for Season Debut in Holy Bull
- Zayat, Romans Want to See Prayer for Relief in Pegasus
- Arrogate Sails Through Penultimate Work for Pegasus Cup
- First Foal by American Pharoah Born at Brookdale Farm
- Zito Saddles 2,000th Winner