Even-money choice Pontchatrain kicked off the new year with her third consecutive stakes victory on the hillside turf course at Santa Anita Park in the $200,000 Monrovia Stakes (gr. IIT) Jan. 5.
Starlight Racing's Candy Kitty charged through an opening to the outside of battling front-runners and kicked clear to win the $100,000 Ginger Brew Stakes for 3-year-old fillies Jan. 5 at Gulfstream Park.
The ninth and final race Jan. 5 at Aqueduct Racetrack was canceled after a harrowing tractor broke down on the outer rail of the backstretch of the inner track.
Grade I winner Rail Trip is headed for retirement at Old Friends farm in Kentucky, owner Samantha Siegel confirmed Jan. 5.
Darby Dan Farm has hired Carl McEntee as director of sales and bloodstock at the Lexington-based facility.
United States race dates declined by 3.15% in 2013 when compared to the previous year, yet total wagering and purses held steady, according to the Thoroughbred Racing Economic Indicators released by Equibase Jan. 5.
Trainer Tom Proctor notched career victory 1,000 Jan. 4 at Tampa Bay Downs when 4-year-old gelding Avanzare rolled to a five-length victory on the turf in the eighth race.
With the major November breeding stock sales delivering stronger than expected results for many sellers, consignors heading back to Keeneland's auction ring in January are predicting that the market will remain healthy.
Horses’ tendons and ligaments, soft tissues structures connecting muscles to bone and bone to bone, facilitate a variety of athletic feats. Because these structures function close to their load limits, horses—especially racehorses and performance horses under work stress--are at risk for injury, or re-injury after rehabilitation. Veterinarians...
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Grade 1 Winner, Sire Devil His Due Dies at 28
- Desormeaux Switches Agents to Arroyo
- Cloud Computing Leaves Pimlico, Others Thinking Belmont
- Cloud Computing Wears Down Classic Empire in Preakness
- Into Mischief Filly Tops Early at Midlantic Sale
- Hips to Watch: Day 2 Fasig-Tipton Midlantic Sale
- Speedy Smart Strike Filly Brings $525,000
- Trainer Richie Scherer Dies at Age 53
- Smart Strike Filly Leads the Way at Midlantic Sale
- Agent Ryan Not Surprised by Cloud Computing's Win