Echoing crowds of yesteryear and making one last memory, fans flocked into Betfair Hollywood Park for a final time Dec. 22. They were there until the lights went out on the Track of Lakes and Flowers.
Well-regarded maiden Rebranded came through in the clutch to win the $104,800 Riley Allison Futurity as the favorite Dec. 22 at Sunland Park Racetrack and Casino.
Apprentice jockey Austin Solis, 21-year-old son of the great Panamanian rider Alex Solis, broke through with his first career victory in the seventh race Dec. 22 at Tampa Bay Downs.
Hillside turf specialists Chips All In and Unbridled's Note head a competitive field of eight in the $100,000 Daytona Stakes (gr. IIIT) Dec. 28 at Santa Anita Park.
River Seven overcame a lack of experience on dirt to post a track-record win over a good field in the $100,000 Harlan's Holiday Stakes at odds of 12-1 Dec. 22 at Gulfstream Park.
Heavy rains and lightning in the New Orleans area Dec. 22 caused a lengthy delay before the running of the third race at Fair Grounds Race Course & Slots and resulted in the remaining six races being been canceled.
Veteran jockey David Flores, who has been competing at Fair Grounds Race Course & Slots for the past month, will be leaving the United States after Christmas to compete in Singapore for six months.
Japanese star Orfevre bowed out of racing in fine style Dec. 22 when winning the Arima Kinen (Jpn-I) by a commanding eight lengths at Nakayama.
Breeders' Cup Classic (gr. I) winner Mucho Macho Man stepped up his preparation for his 2014 debut, breezing five furlongs in 1:00.03 the morning of Dec. 22 at Gulfstream Park.
Grade III winner San Pablo has been retired and will join the Rockridge Stud roster in Hudson, NY for 2014, it was announced Dec. 22.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Alert Bay Repeats in San Francisco Mile
- Battalion Runner, Malagacy to Bypass Kentucky Derby
- Thunder Snow Confirmed for Kentucky Derby
- Fast Work Provides Relief for Girvin's Connections
- Trust in Tammy: Fox Taught J Boys Echo His Lessons Well
- Gormley Puts in Unconventional Final Derby Work
- McErin, Five Fillies Take on Kentucky Juvenile Stakes
- War Correspondent Responds in Miami Mile
- Pletcher Breezes Four Kentucky Derby Hopefuls
- Girvin Battling Quarter Crack, KY Derby Not Ruled Out