California-bred Rousing Sermon, beaten only a neck by Liaison in the CashCall Futurity (gr. I) at Hollywood Park last month, worked four furlongs Jan. 29 in :47 2/5 for his 3-year-old bow in the Robert B. Lewis Stakes Feb. 4.
Algorithms overtook juvenile champion Hansen approaching mid-stretch en route to an easy victory in the $400,000 Holy Bull Stakes (gr. III) at Gulfstream Park, handing the odds-on favorite the first defeat of his career.
Favored Broadway's Alibi, racing on an off-track for the first time in her career, made quite a splash in her stakes debut with a dominating 16 3/4-length victory in the Forward Gal (gr. II) Jan. 29 at rainy Gulfstream Park.
Repole Stable's 3-year-old How Do I Win, pointing to the $200,000 Withers Stakes (gr. III) at Aqueduct Feb. 4, breezed a half-mile in :49 flat over Belmont Park's training track.
Making his stakes debut in the $200,000 John B. Connally Turf Cup, favored Papaw Bodie surged to the lead in upper stretch to post a convincing win at Sam Houston Race Park on the night of Jan. 28.
Veteran Kentucky trainer Michael A. Tammaro died of a heart attack at St. Elizabeth Hospital in Edgewood, Ky., Jan. 27 following a long illness.
Call the vet, or wait and see? When concerned about a foal's health--particularly when infections are suspected--waiting is never a good idea. Osteomyelitis in young foals, for instance, requires immediate treatment, as Alastair Kay, BVSc, MS, Dipl. ACVS, MRCVS, equine surgeon at Minister Equine Clinic, in North Yorkshire, U.K., relayed at the 2011 Am...
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Swipe Retired, to Keeneland November Sale
- Songbird Works at Del Mar, Cotillion Next
- KY Downs to Open With Loaded All-Turf Card
- Oaklawn Reaches Agreement With United Tote
- Los Alamitos Schedules California Chrome Day
- Longtime Voice of Fairmount Park to Retire
- Arrogate Blazes to Travers Record
- Renowned Vet John Kenney Dies at 79
- Keeneland to Handle VinMar Dispersal
- Review: Spa Surface Not Factor in Fatalities