State and federal organizations are conducting a major survey of the equine population in Kentucky in the hope of developing plans to move the industry forward.
Leading Santa Anita jockey Joel Rosario was handed a five-day suspension for causing interference that resulted in a spill near the finish line of the ninth race Jan. 14, stewards announced.
Jockey Jackie Davis apparently escaped serious injury when she was involved in a spill just past the wire following the ninth race at Aqueduct Jan. 15.
Reneesgotzip, an impressive first-out maiden winner one month ago, sped to the front and never looked back while romping to a 7 3/4-length victory in the $150,000 Santa Ynez Stakes (gr. II) at Santa Anita Jan. 15.
The National Horsemen's Benevolent and Protective Association has hired a Washington, D.C.-based firm to handle its legislative affairs given the organization is no longer a member of the NTRA.
Jockey Abigail Fuller, who rode with success during the 1980s and 1990s, rode her first winner at Gulfstream Park Jan. 15 aboard Rule Number Six in the second race.
A Bel Espirt - Jazeera colt topped the fifth session of the Magic Millions Gold Coast yearling sale, bringing Aust$225,000 ($232,213 in U.S. funds) Jan. 15 in Australia.
The four-session select portion of the Magic Millions Gold Coast yearling sale in Australia ended Jan. 14 with increases of 2.9% in average price and 11.1% in median price from a year ago.
Oaklawn Park's road to the Triple Crown, which culminates with the $1 million Arkansas Derby (gr. I) this spring, begins Jan. 16 with the $100,000 Smarty Jones Stakes.
Persimmon trees, commonly found in the southeastern United States, produce a fruit that's often enticing to horses and other equids. Consuming this fruit, however, can be deadly; its fibers and seeds can create an obstruction within the gastrointestinal (GI) tract, resulting in potentially serious impaction colic.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Alert Bay Repeats in San Francisco Mile
- Battalion Runner, Malagacy to Bypass Kentucky Derby
- Thunder Snow Confirmed for Kentucky Derby
- Fast Work Provides Relief for Girvin's Connections
- Trust in Tammy: Fox Taught J Boys Echo His Lessons Well
- Gormley Puts in Unconventional Final Derby Work
- McErin, Five Fillies Take on Kentucky Juvenile Stakes
- War Correspondent Responds in Miami Mile
- Pletcher Breezes Four Kentucky Derby Hopefuls
- Girvin Battling Quarter Crack, KY Derby Not Ruled Out