Jockey Michael Baze, a member of a famed riding family in United States racing, was found dead the afternoon of May 10 on the backstretch at Churchill Downs.
The Kentucky Breeders' Incentive Fund advisory committee May 10 unanimously approved key changes in the program, which has become an important part of the state's Thoroughbred industry in very challenging times.
More than 14.5 million viewers watched the Kentucky Derby May 7 on NBC Sports, the network reported, making it the fourth most-watched Derby in the past 21 years.
With racing operations continuing to show losses at Churchill Downs Inc., company CEO Bob Evans said May 9 that it would be hard for CDI to justify capital expenditures on racetracks, except in special cases.
Folksy ways and love of storytelling, belie his fierce competitiveness Read Blog
After the Derby, Barry Irwin reminded everyone of the important role of partnerships today. Read Blog
Owners are often concerned about internal parasites -- maybe a little too concerned -- and their actions to rid horses of all parasites are leading to the unintended consequences of making ome deworming products ineffective. Download Now
Top horses are entered in two races May 11, with several in a $60,000 sprint stakes at Belmont Park and another in a $41,000 allowance race at Delaware Park.
The night-time opening card of the spring meet and the success of Kentucky Derby week at Churchill Downs will likely result in a contribution of between $5-6 million in pre-tax earnings to the company's bottom line for 2011.
A look back at the Kentucky Derby, including comments from Team Valor's Barry Irwin, and a look ahead to the Preakness.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Archarcharch, Tizway to South Korea
- Better Talk Now Euthanized at Age 18
- After 26 Stakes Wins, Fan Favorite Ben's Cat Retired
- Lights of Medina Leads Pletcher Trio in Mother Goose
- Curlin's Approval Heads Princess Rooney
- Holy Helena Favored for Queen's Plate
- Get your Scorecard, the Travers Trail Has Begun
- Obituary: Jack Arterburn Spent Life in Racing
- Mott Set for Queen's Plate Debut With Channel Maker
- Delta Bluesman Aims to Repeat in Smile Sprint