Ellafitz, allowed to go it alone on a lackadaisical pace, proved too much to handle in the stretch as she scored her first stakes victory in the $150,000 Bayakoa Handicap (gr. II) by 3 1/4 lengths at Hollywood Park Dec. 4.
The 1 3/4-mile Valedictory Stakes (Can-III) came down to just a head when distance-loving Eagle Poise outfought Harrods Creek in deep stretch to capture the $150,388 event on Woodbine's closing day Dec. 4.
Jockey Jorge Chavez was transported to North Shore University Hospital in stable condition after he was unseated in the nightcap at Aqueduct Racetrack Dec. 4, the track reported.
Dual grade I winner Weemissfrankie, third in the Grey Goose Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies (gr. I) one month ago, will start in the $250,000 Hollywood Starlet (gr. I) Dec. 10, trainer Peter Eurton said Dec. 4.
National handle on Thoroughbred racing continued to decline in November, though the dip is not nearly as pronounced as it was a year ago at this time.
Favored Transcend successfully defended his title in the $3.4 million Japan Cup Dirt (Jpn-I) Dec. 4, winning a showdown with 2009 victor Espoir City at Hanshin Racecourse.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Rachel's Valentina 7-2 Oaks Favorite
- Adversaries Unite at Trainers' Dinner
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - May 3, 2016
- Grudge Match in the Alysheba
- Lani Breezes in Final Derby Preparation
- Amoss Believes Lanerie Best Fit for Mo Tom
- NBC Sports Group Sets Derby Week Coverage
- Three Grade I Winners Vie for La Troienne
- Nyquist's Groom Keeps Top Derby Horse Happy
- Nyquist Strong in First Churchill Gallop