Remembering the people and horses that left us in 2011. View Slideshow
She had never won a stakes race, but you could never have guessed it watching Teddy's Promise pull away from the field to easily capture the $300,000 La Brea (gr. I) at Santa Anita Dec. 31.
Despite stumbling badly at the break and being rushed up into contention, Donald Dizney's homebred Apriority ran down pacesetter Zero Rate Policy to win the Mr. Prospector Stakes (gr. III) by a nose Dec. 31 at Gulfstream.
Owner-trainer Luis Olivares' gelding Tackleberry, who emerged as a star in the handicap division last fall and winter, is gearing up for a 2012 campaign. Olivares said Dec. 30 that Tackleberry is back in light training.
Victor Trujillo, saddling just his second horse as a head trainer, earned his first career training victory Dec. 30 at Golden Gate Fields when his 3-year-old gelding Floating Feather won the fourth race.
Preliminary figures at Hollywood Casino at Charles Town Races show a 14.56% increase in gross all-sources pari-mutuel handle in 2011.
Gulfstream Park on the night of Dec. 30 canceled a Quarter Horse race that it had scheduled for Dec. 31.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Promising Mastery Heads Los Al Futurity Field
- Del Mar to Pay Out Consolations for Pick 6
- End of Road for ‘Claiming Rule’ Challenge
- Woolf Award Finalists Announced
- Lukas Drops by to See Old Friend Charismatic
- Casse Mulls Derby Path for Classic Empire
- Thoroughbred Makeover Accepting Applications
- Bowman Wins Hong Kong Jockey Championship
- Greatbullsoffire Tops Futurity
- Castellano Aims for More Gulfstream Success