Multiple grade II winner to stand at Midwest Equine & Veterinary Hospital near Trafalgar, Ind. The son of Grand Slam will stand for a 2012 fee of $2,500.
Closing Argument, a top 10 leading third-crop sire of 2011, has moved to Whispering Oaks Farm near Carnecro, La. for the 2012 breeding season. The son of Successful Appeal will stand for $5,000.
Unzip Me will be heavily favored on Santa Anita's hillside turf course Jan. 2 when seeking a repeat victory in the $100,000 Monrovia Stakes (gr. IIIT) for older fillies and mares.
New Orleans-based Turf writer Bob Fortus of the Times-Picayune to be inducted into the Press Box Hall of Fame at Fair Grounds Jan. 18.
There were only a few tough choices in 2011, but Horse of the Year wasn't one of them. read blog
Californian Steve Marshall has purchased 125-acre Ardmore Farm near Versailles, Ky., the first Kentucky farm developed by Briggs & Cromartie Thoroughbred Consultants. The deal was brokered by Biederman Real Estate.
Longtime Ocala horseman Will Johnson has been tabbed as the new stallion manager at John Sykes' CloverLeaf Farms II.
Rapid Redux will go for his 22nd consecutive victory when he goes in a $17,000 starter allowance Jan. 4 at Laurel Park. The Wednesday card is opening day of the 2012 Laurel Park winter meeting.
The Don MacBeth Memorial Jockey Fund that provided financial aid and assistance to injured jockeys and exercise riders will cease operations and disburse its funds by the end of this year.
Bob Mayberger of Albany, N.Y., won the 2011 Media Eclipse Award for Photography for his panoramic picture of Thoroughbreds jumping over a fence during the A.P. Smithwick Memorial Steeplechase at Saratoga on Aug. 4.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Multiple Grade 1 Winner I'm a Chatterbox Retired
- Private Zone Retired to Old Friends
- Derby, Oaks Notes, from Churchill Downs, April 25
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - April 25, 2017
- McCraken Finishes Strong in Five-Furlong Move
- Romans Mulling Rider Options for J Boys Echo
- Three Chimneys Strikes Early for Orb Colt at $685,000
- Albarado Fractures Lower Leg, Off J Boys Echo in Derby
- Orb Colt Grew Up, Brought $685,000 at OBS
- Creative Cause Filly Sells for $575,000