It Tiz, trying the Santa Anita turf for the first time, took advantage of a fast pace to record a late-running upset victory in the inaugural running of the $79,150 Megahertz Stakes Jan. 23.
It may not have been an artistic success, but Stradivinsky triumphed as the 11-10 favorite in the $58,800 Gulfstream Park Turf Sprint Jan. 23 in south Florida.
Jockey Patrick Valenzuela, who was thrown to the turf following the start of the Sweet Life Stakes Jan. 22, was forced to take off of his nine mounts Jan. 23 as a result of the mishap.
The William Inglis & Son Sydney Classic yearling sale began on a buoyant note Jan. 23 in Australia, with the first session average price up by more than 5% on figures from a year ago.
Veteran trainer Mel Stute, who saddled his first winner at Portland Meadows in 1947, has nine horses cataloged at the Barretts Winter Mixed Sale that begins Jan. 24, but says he isn't retiring yet.
Mucho Macho Man worked a sharp five furlongs in :59 flat on the morning of Jan. 23 at Gulfstream Park for trainer Kathy Ritvo in preparation for his 2011 debut in the $400,000 Holy Bull Stakes (gr. III) in one week.
Early Return, who set the pace in the F. W. Gaudin Memorial Stakes at Fair Grounds Jan. 22, became the 100th stakes winner by deceased stallion Carson City when he captured the six-furlong stakes in 1:09.51.
Researchers at the University of California, Davis, have recently identified a genetic mutation associated with the disorder cerebellar abiotrophy (CA). This debilitating neurologic disorder causes the degeneration of the cerebellum, and mainly affects Arabian horses.
The gastrointestinal (GI) tract of the normal adult horse contains a complex community of microorganisms. Most of these microbes are located in the large intestine, where they assist in food digestion (especially fiber) and synthesize compounds (such as some vitamins) that are important to the horse's health. Most of the helpful microbes in the gut of...
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Lord Nelson Fighting Laminitis, to Miss Breeding Season
- Weekend Stakes Rundown: Louisiana Derby Season Begins
- Deal Reached on Pegasus Starting Slot for Gun Runner
- California Chrome's Dubai Win voted Moment of the Year
- A. P. Indy Fires Another Across the Bow
- Two New Sires to California's Milky Way Farm
- First Foal by American Pharoah Born at Brookdale Farm
- Summer Front's First Foal is a Filly
- Untapped Takes First Steps Toward Filling Big Shoes
- Jockey Lane Luzzi Follows in Father's Footsteps