Breeders have done a good job cutting the numbers of horses that they breed and reducing the stud fees of stallions. Now, some other things have to happen for the Thoroughbred industry to get out of its slump. Read Blog
Several Thoroughbred industry officials met in Frankfort, Ky., Jan. 14 to discuss a 2011 legislative plan for increasing purses and breed development funds.
The slumping market in recent years at the Keeneland January horses of all ages sale took a turn for the better in several important statistical categories during the auction's latest edition in Lexington.
The purse of the 137th Kentucky Oaks (gr. I), which will be held May 6 at Churchill Downs, will be doubled to $1 million, Churchill officials announced Jan. 14.
Sidney's Candy, the favorite for the $150,000 San Fernando (gr. II) Jan. 15 at Santa Anita, has been scratched.
The probable 2-year-old champion could face short fields in both preps. Read Blog
With two barns at Beulah Park quarantined because of equine herpesvirus, the Ohio Department of Agriculture is ordering that all horses on the grounds at the track have their temperatures taken and recorded each day.
- By Esther Marr
New Vocations announced Jan. 12 that the gelding would be going to Akindale Thoroughbred Rescue. Read Blog
Fanlew Farms, located near Sarepta, La., will hold its annual stallion show at the farm Saturday, Jan. 15.
Trainer Peter Moody purchased the yearling, who is a half brother to three-time group I winner More Joyous.
The proposed Indiana budget bill includes a line item that would almost cut in half the amount horse racing receives from racetrack slot machines.
A wild animal was not responsible for killing a Wisconsin horse, according to necropsy results on the horse, which were released last week.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Gun Runner Powers to Easy Stephen Foster Win
- Paco Lopez Sent to Hospital After Paddock Accident
- McCraken Back to His Old Self in Matt Winn
- Heavy Rain Forces Belmont Park Cancellation
- Forever Unbridled Makes Triumphant Return
- Sircat Sally Remains Undefeated With Honeymoon Win
- Kasaqui Ends Six-Race Skid With Decisive Wise Dan Score
- Faypien Edges Mopotism in Summertime Oaks
- Monmouth Park Bans Shipping to Suffolk Downs
- Unique Bella Nears Return to Training